Forgot to pack my power cord! :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pngwyn, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Pngwyn macrumors regular

So I just returned from a road trip, and I realized I left my power cord for my MBP at my friend's house and won't be able to get it for another couple weeks.

Are there any stores with good return policies so I'm not out of a computer for those 2 weeks? My battery is already at half right now :(

Any suggestions would be great, I know the mac store has a 14 day return policy, but they will charge 10% restocking fee for a return x_x

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just buy a spare. It's always a good idea to have one.

3. JCCash macrumors regular

Send your friend a UPS call tag and ask him to pack your PS and ship it to you.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Seriously? A store with a good return policy? Seriously? Facepalm!

5. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

+1, you never know when you'll need one.. Or forget it at another friends house...again ;) :eek:

6. Bo15 macrumors 6502

Bo15

Buy a spare

or FedEx overnight

7. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I have 3. One for my desk, one in the living room and one that always stays in my bag.

You can never have too many power supplies. Unless you have more than 15 perhaps.

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Do this, it'll be your fastest option.

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

buying a new one with the intention to return it after use is pretty shoddy.

buying a second one is the best solution. shipping it via fedex is probably half the cost of a new one so I wouldn't do that.

one solution could be that you walk into a big hotel (like a big marriott courtyard or such). business people forget thousands of power supplies in hotels every year and they never get picked up. maybe your only chance to get one for free. hotels often keep them for a while before they throw them out. not sure how the legality is there but if the items are abandoned.........

10. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

Walmart has the most liberal return polices, everywhere else you're likely to pay a 10% restocking fee.

Having two powercords can be awesome if you go between two rooms a lot in your home or just have one in your bag at all times so you never leave home without it.

11. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

+1 ... Walmart will let you return just about anything.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yeah, accept for Macbook Pro adaptors since they don't sell them. :p

13. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Yeah walmart might be your best bet.

14. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

kohls has the best return policy
    but I don't think they sell macbook pro psu's

15. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

best buy. ive had done it twice and returned in april and in june. The old magsafe would alway start to separate at the plug, which is a known issue. Apple will replace for free but best buy is right across the street. I would buy it and use it until i was able to go to the apple store and get it replaced, then return it with no restocking fee. in the past year and half i had 4 magsafe adapters replaced. Now i got the new ones...i hope they last for more than a year,

16. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

They might have the best return policy, but they are clamping down on people who return too many things in so many months and then you can't shop there anymore....just a heads up.

Keep in mind that if you buy something and return it your one of many people that do this. When I worked retail, the store had a liberal return policy. Return your item within 30 days complete will boxes, packing, owners manuals etc., and you got a full refund! (Of course customer service ended up taking anything back without a box or anything.)

The store received so many computers back and kitchen appliances that the companies stopped taking them back and the store was stuck with these returns.

Buying items with the intend of returning them within the return policy of the company only increases their costs and those costs are passed on to ALL of us.

Just buy an extra ps would be my suggestion.

17. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Buy it at Best buy then return it when you're done. I've done it.

(PS save the hater talk, I don't care what you think)

Then, spend 15$ on eBay and get one of those cheap chinese knockoff power adapters...they ship from China so they take ~2 weeks to get here, but totally worth it. I've been using like 3 of them for a few months now with no problems.

18. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Gad.

Have you no ethics? You want a store to lend you a power supply for free because of your own negligence and then take the used product back while you sail on your merry way.

Shameful. Go buy a spare to keep in your case so this doesn't happen again, or have your friend fed-ex your old one to you.

19. akramer macrumors member

This thread really is an interesting microcosm of immorality. What the OP wants to do is obviously wrong: while technically not against the return policy of a store, return policies aren't meant to be used for a temporary loan of devices. That's why laptops and cameras always have shorter return periods than most other things - unscrupulous people would use them on vacation and then return them.

So now that you know that the store doesn't want you to do this, why would you screw the store over for something that's 100% your fault? Big faceless corporation or not, your true intent is not honorable.

Inability to accept personal responsibility seems to be a really bad and yet common trait nowadays.

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Buy a spare for $90. It'll be handy in case you leave it at your friend's house again.

I've got 3 cellphone chargers. One came with the phone, another one was from my old phone that had the same charger. And the last one I found in the middle of the road. It truely is handy :D

21. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have $90 to drop on a power adapter I'll need for about a week.. I ended up getting one from BB, going to return it today.

I've never needed 2 power adapters in the 3 years I've owned my MBP (I guess up until now). I can't justify not returning this as the effect on the economy is truly infinitesimal. People return stuff nowadays for a lot shadier reasons. At least I'm not trying to return a product that I have tampered with/broken.

Prices may rise for all of us, but the ultimate cost for NUMBER ONE is much less. Don't mean to be a dick, but that's why everyone who does it does it. We don't all have money flowing out of our wallets.

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

thank you.

and with this, I will swipe your macbook pro and your power adapter.

I mean, i'm entitled to it right?

23. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, since theft and returning an item I no longer need are nearly synonymous, right?

24. menomano macrumors member