Forgot to put sled in macbook; need to replace hard drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Brammy, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Brammy macrumors 6502a

Ok, a few years ago when I swapped the drive in my Macbook, I wasn't thinking and forgot to put the sled back on. Since nature abhors vacuums and empty hard drive space, I want to replace the drive again.

What's the easiest way to get the drive back out?

2. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I just used my knife and was able to get enough leverage to "pry" it out. I'd imagine a flat plastic object would be safe and effective.

3. mmulin macrumors 6502

Use some kind of pincer or what once worked for me in a similar situation, albeit not on a MacBook, using a small screw driver and carefully pushing the drive left and right until it loosens and comes out a bit so you can hook the screw driver into one of the bodywork and pry it out that way. Last resort: case disassembly.

4. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Just as an addendum: next time, don't forget the sled.

Rule of thumb: When you take a computer apart and put it back together... if you have left over pieces, you're not finished.

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

lol yes. Wonder how that happened though.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Get some sticky tape, the type you use to tape up large cartons and boxes.. Use something flat like a credit card to help guide the tape into place.. then simply pull out the whole unit. If it fails the first time, try again...

p.s. Ducktape is good for this..