Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
hi all,

well there's been a massive slip-up. seems i forgot to re-register my domain name - mugget.com. :mad:

well this is my fault i suppose... i sure as hell won't let it happen again.

but the problem now is that a company has snatched it up - and want $200 ("minimum") for it!

i've never had this happen before - so i was wondering if there's anything i can do about it? is there any way i can get mugget.com back without paying thier ransom?

please please help! :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Nope.

Unless you have a strong existing trademark on the name and are willing to take them to arbitration.

Snooze you lose, unfortunately. When you missed the advance notices and the 30 day post-expiry redemption period, you effectively abandoned your interest in the domain name.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
damn did you happen to copy right mugget.com as a name? Beyond that your probably SOL. I hate to see stuff like this because clearly they have no intention of devloping the site. they just want $200

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
no i didn't really have an existing trademark, and didn't copyright the name 'mugget.com' either.

yeah i did snooze - can't believe it. i checked the whois info - and it had my old email address there - so that's why i didn't get the 30 day reminder. :( but i could have sworn that i updated my email address at RegisterFly (i registered the domain through them).

oh well. life on the internet goes on.

looks like i'll be getting a new domain then - i'll be parking this one and making sure i don't mess up again.

well i've started a thread here asking for name suggestions, if you want to help:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1829779
:)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You're still listed as the registrant in the whois :confused:

In addition, it doesn't seem to expire until 17/10/06! Are you sure your domain name's expired? Maybe just the hosting has.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Nermal, i'm confused by this as well. depending on where i lookup the whois info i get different results. i got this from here:
Creation date: 17 Oct 2003 03:26:33
Expiration date: 17 Oct 2005 03:26:33

but from here:
Domain Name: MUGGET.COM
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.enom.com
Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
Name Server: DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Updated Date: 18-oct-2005
Creation Date: 17-oct-2003
Expiration Date: 17-oct-2006

the first one does show me as the registrant, the 2nd one shows the snatching company - Enom. i'm pretty sure it was my registration that expired on the 17th just gone - it's Enom's registration that expires in 2006.
:(

is this just a case of the changes taking time to propogate?

and also - i do still have my hosting. i connected on FTP last night just to backup everything. and i can still login and access the cPanel pages.

so... it looks like the domain is gone.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Whyren said:
That actually seems fairly cheap for a domain-snatcher with no intention of development. They easily could have asked 10 or 100 times more.

if i already had my site fully developed and my portfolio up there and was using it for business - i would have chased this up.

but it wasn't completely finished (although you can't tell by looking at it - there's just more i plan to add) and only my friends knew about it.

so it's not worth the money to me. especially that they're just trying to make money off it - they can keep it. enjoy paying the yearly registration fee.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
cb911 said:
the first one does show me as the registrant, the 2nd one shows the snatching company - Enom.

If I just open Terminal and do a "whois mugget.com" (which connects to whois.enom.com), it shows the same details as your second query, but then continues on with your name and address as the registrant, administrative, technical and billing contacts.

Furthermore, "registrar" means "an official responsible for keeping a register or official records", ie. the company or organisation responsible for tracking ownership. The person/company who's bought the domain should appear as the "registrant" (which, according to whois.enom.com, is you!)

It's left me a bit baffled! Maybe you should contact your previous registrar (RegisterFly) and see whether they can untangle this mess :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.