Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
I changed my oil today in my 01 Hyundai Elantra... When I had finished putting all the oil in and cleaned stuff up, I realized I had not included the washer with the plug when I put it back on... Does anyone think this is a problem? I didn't notice any leakage, and it's in there pretty tightly, so I think it'll be ok, any thoughts?

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
ugggggg damn

alright

2nd question- i think I might have overfilled the engine with oil, is that bad? I put 5 quarts in. The whole dipstick thing is confusing but I think it's past the FULL mark. Bad? Or doesn't really matter

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
MacFan782040 said:
ugggggg damn

alright

2nd question- i think I might have overfilled the engine with oil, is that bad? I put 5 quarts in. The whole dipstick thing is confusing but I think it's past the FULL mark. Bad? Or doesn't really matter

you proper balls-ed up this oil change didn't you? :)

i'd redo it if i were you.
overfilling will blow seals and if it leaks from that sump plug then you do damage to the engine.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
Won't overfilling the oil also allow the crankshaft to slap into the oil, thus making it very frothy and difficult for the oil pump to pick up? I remember hearing that somewhere a few years ago...

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I agree - best to re-do the oil change.

Don't feel too bad - last change I did on my motorbike I forgot to put the entire sump plug back in - realised this after I'd started filling up with new oil and the floor started turning a nice golden oil colour as the pan overflowed!! Almost as bad as a Jeremy Clarkson oil-change (for Top Gear fans)!

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
reh said:
Won't overfilling the oil also allow the crankshaft to slap into the oil, thus making it very frothy and difficult for the oil pump to pick up? I remember hearing that somewhere a few years ago...
Yeah, that can happen if it you overfill it enough so that it meets the lowest level of the crankshaft.

This reminds me of a time my friend was riding his quad/ATV down the street. Somehow, the oil cap came off while he was riding, and he had to stick his finger (or something) in there to keep the oil from splashing out all over him.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
Alrighty thanks guys, I guess I'll just re-do it.. but instead of doing it completely over again, I'll probably just take the plug off quickly, put the washer on and then plug it up right away. I'll loose a quart or 2, but I over filled it anyway, and I can just buy a quart of oil and fill it up to where is right. Cause I'm not gonna replace the filter, ect.

Unless anyone feels that I should do it all over again?

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
2nyRiggz said:
yes remove the oil if it is too much. dont screw up your engine....too much oil causes too much friction

Bless

Um...no. Too much oil is bad only because of increased oil pressure. Quite frankly, unless you go way over, you shouldn't have a problem. My car takes 4.5 quarts, and most 4cylinder cars do also (if you change the oil filter at the same time), meaning you are probably only .5 quarts off, which isn't so bad. I would re-do it anyway though because of not having the washer in there. For the most part it will never matter, but it does help ensure the proper torque holds and keeps your oil in.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Too much oil will cause it to burn oil as I know cause my Jeep was overfilled and it started smoking afer that all the time and was comfirmed by a mechanic that it was the overfilling. I think it has something to do with the seals?!?! Either way, fill it with how much is to be in there...and next time maybe pay a few bucks more to have someone else do it?

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I normally am the first person to tell people that they should change their own oil...but, if you feel uncomfortable doing it (and I don't think this is the OP's case), then don't do it. Pay someone the $20 to do it for you.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Lol, we just had an oil change, it was like $30 plus a little more for synthetic oil...why would someone even attempt this themselves?

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Because oil changes are super simple? Why wouldn't you do it yourself?

I dunno, I'm a DIY kind of guy anyway, and on top of that, being a car guy, I just can't NOT do my own mechanic stuff.

I've done sparkplugs, oil, ignition coil, distributors, brakes, all kinds of wiring. I mean, I'm no mechanic (yet), but I do all the "simple" stuff. Heck, my brother and I rebuilt a sled engine last year.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
flyfish29 said:
Too much oil will cause it to burn oil as I know cause my Jeep was overfilled and it started smoking afer that all the time and was comfirmed by a mechanic that it was the overfilling. I think it has something to do with the seals?!?! Either way, fill it with how much is to be in there...and next time maybe pay a few bucks more to have someone else do it?
I think in your case the over-top oil could have spilled out onto the engine when it is running. The hot engine then cause the spilled oil to burn creating the smoke.

To MacFan782040, if you have a siphon, maybe you can use it to draw out the oil if it is not too much.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
angelneo said:
I think in your case the over-top oil could have spilled out onto the engine when it is running. The hot engine then cause the spilled oil to burn creating the smoke.

To MacFan782040, if you have a siphon, maybe you can use it to draw out the oil if it is not too much.

It's not just the level of oil though, he forgot the drainplug washer too.

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
redo the oil change. dont' worry about changing the filter just replace all the oil. it will be better that way. make sure and let the oil completely drain out for a good while. replace the plug (w/ washer) and fill up with the exact amount of oil your owner's manual tell you. those hyundai's are pretty tough but make sure and do your research before working on your car/house/boat/computer whatever.

as far as doing your own oil changes, i would but i just don't want to mess with all the fuss and oil that is everywhere. i usually do that will all things that have to get flushed and filled, i just don't have anywhere to deposit the leftover/old fluid. they way i figure 20-30 bucks and someone else is responsible is good enough for me. just make sure you find a mechanic you can trust.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
ITASOR said:
Lol, we just had an oil change, it was like $30 plus a little more for synthetic oil...why would someone even attempt this themselves?
It is nice to know exactly where your car stands-- you can even see if you should consider changing your oil sooner or if you can stand to wait a little bit longer next time. Plus, I prefer to use OEM filters and whatnot as opposed to a generic one. :eek:
ToddW said:
as far as doing your own oil changes, i would but i just don't want to mess with all the fuss and oil that is everywhere. <snip> i just don't have anywhere to deposit the leftover/old fluid.
There shouldn't be a mess if you just have a couple simple items (like a nice pan to catch it in-- the ones that can be plugged up and are easy to pour out the used oil). Plus, I believe some cities have free used oil pick-up from your house.

It was also a lot easier when my boyfriend was taking auto shop classes-- use all the stuff in a decked out autoshop and there is no mess and no trouble getting rid of the used oil. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.