Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lysergik215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2010
I for the life of god can't remember it, I've typed everything and I need to know it so i can reinstall my windows partition, I know how to reset password, but I don't know why its a different name than anything I use PLZ HELP

Lysergik215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2010
No need to yell. With posts like this, you'll not garner too much help.

Completelly correct, I'm sorry but its annoying I wana play Age of Conan and I didn't allow myself enough room on my windows side, but apparently even from the little apple "Log Out <Username>" doesn't work nor anything else i can think of =(

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Completelly correct, I'm sorry but its annoying I wana play Age of Conan and I didn't allow myself enough room on my windows side, but apparently even from the little apple "Log Out <Username>" doesn't work nor anything else i can think of =(

If you go to System Preferences and accounts, it will list the accounts for you.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

Have you rebooted? It sounds like a glitch.

Lysergik215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Its not my using account, its the main admin account that to you need to enter name and password and I don't know how to find the admin username, when I open the thing for users/accounts it didn't show the admin account name =(

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Its not my using account, its the main admin account that to you need to enter name and password and I don't know how to find the admin username, when I open the thing for users/accounts it didn't show the admin account name =(

When you log out/reboot, it gives you an option to select the account, what accounts does it give you? One of them must be admin

Lysergik215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2010
When you log out/reboot, it gives you an option to select the account, what accounts does it give you? One of them must be admin

lol nope (Sad but true) I have snow leopard and full updates atm if that helps, it just shows my own account which is "standard"
if it helps, What i'm trying to do is increase my bootcamp's memory, but i figure just restart it all since nothin on it matters all that much, just time on installing, if there is another way that is easier that works ok, don't rly care about the programs, I'm also running w7

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK

is this actually YOUR computer? The first account created on the computer should always be the 'admin' account by default.

plasticphyte

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Generally the administration account for any Unix/BSD/Linux based OS is root.

You are highly unlikely to need to use this username in day to day operations as it is considered non standard operational procedure to use root as a normal user account.

That is one of the primary reasons why the use of it in Mac OS X is obscured so much.

If you need to run a command via the terminal at a higher user level than your own, you can use either su or sudo followed by the command. You'll be asked to enter a password, and if you haven't already got a password, you'll be asked to set a password.

If you're trying to make changes such as installing programs or modifying settings that require authentication, Mac OS will bring up a prompt with your username or name and will ask for your password.

Generally in Unix/BSD/Linux it is considered best practice to log in as a normal user and then su or sudo when you need to run commands/programs/etc at higher privilege levels.

Apologies if you already knew this, others may find this usefull though.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
... otherwise ls /users in your terminal window will show you the list of users (other than root) if systems prefs isn't showing you what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.