Forgotten passcode to Ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by madmello, Mar 7, 2013.

1. madmello macrumors newbie

Yup, it happened, I did it, I managed to forget the 4 digit passcode to my iPod touch. :confused:
    I honestly don't think I'm going to remember, so don't suggest things like oh just try and remember.

Well, first off, I looked around a bit, and found that the only sure way is to reset my device, then backup my data.
    Before starting, I think I made a pretty big mistake, I backed up my iPod after forgetting the passcode.
    Not realizing, I restored my iPod to factory settings, then restored the back up. Thankfully, all my data was restored, but so was the passcode lock. :(
    There was no change whatsoever.

I need a method that completely rids the passcode lock, or allows me to change it.
    What are my options? I read about finding the passcode file on the iPod and manipulating that somehow, but so far I'm having no luck. Is it possible to restore the iPod to a previous backup, like do I have multiple backups to choose from? If not, then what actions should I take? Will I be able to save my data?

Thank you in advance

2. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

If you backup in iCloud then you likely only have one backup to choose from. If you backup in iTunes on a Mac/PC then you might have some older backups from which to choose, one of which may have been from when your device did not have a passcode.

Otherwise I think you're stuck.

3. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Backups on a Mac/PC are just written over, so why would there be more than the latest one?

Guessing you've learned a valuable lesson . . .

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

No they aren't. I have multiple backups of my iPad Mini.

OP... Next time keep it in your Notes app. That is where I keep my codes. That way they get saved to my e-mail account, my iCloud, and my Mac.

5. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Let's hope they remember their password to iCloud now. ;)

6. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Why wouldn't they be overwritten?

It'd be wasted space otherwise.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Go to iTunes / Preferences / Devices and see if you got an older backup without the lock.

Mine is showing the 2 latest backups.

8. TresMusical1020 macrumors newbie

Well, really there is no way to recover your password once you have gotten locked out and forgotten it. But yah, restarting your iPod touch and backing it up helps. But it doesn't help you recover your password, which nothing can. You'll loose your apps and stuff, but you can download them again. Still, though, it's a lot of trouble to have to do that. Anyway, just don't set a passcode anymore. That's your only option.
    (I got locked out of mine once, too. I DIDN'T EVEN SET A PASSCODE!):apple: