[Forked] iPhone and e61: phones vs. multi-function devices

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psychofreak, Apr 15, 2008.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

ModNote™: The first eight posts of this thread were moved to this new thread from here in order to allow this conversation to continue without disrupting that thread, with which this is at best peripherally related. Thanks for your understanding! --mkrishnan

I may do, but only when the iPhone goes 32GB, and that may not be in the next update unfortunately.

2. touchyphone macrumors regular

Is 32GB the real deal breaker for you? 16gb isn't enough, I know people want storage, and I am in no way trying to be rude, so dont take it that way, but it is still a phone, do you really need 32gb worth of stuff on your phone?

3. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

It depends if he wants to use his phone as a iPod, too, as some people want a lot of media on their iPod, and therefore need more space.

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

The largest jailbreak app so far is like 5 MB (package...yes, if you use PSX emulator, your ROMs are like 400 MB)...even the books are only like 2-3 MB

And last I checked, every phone has apps for it...not as sophisticated as the iPhone, but apps.

All smart phones have internet (real or mobile is irrelevant to space).

Technically the iPhone isn't supposed to replace the iPod...otherwise why wouldn't they just make a 32 GB now? They can.

So the only thing the iPhone has over the other phones is the apps that are coming...and so far I doubt the 18 levels of Spore was even that large...probably 10 MB.

5. lesouvage macrumors newbie

With all respect but apple as the first all in one computing device is not true. Apple came with a new and very innovative and completely new user interface and it is great and set the standard for all phones to come in the coming time. But from a technical perspective it is not innovative or new or adding options to a phone that weren't available yet.

I have a Nokia E61 with a louzy userinterface but with all the apps you can dream of available (music player, internet radio, ssh client, opera browser, irc client, agenda, todo list, terminal, IM client, e-mail client, viewer for most common formats, full bluetooth support and not the crippled kind available on an iPhone, SIP stack integrated into the operating system, sending sms messages to a choosen list of phone numbers, umts support etc. etc.)

If you don't unlock your iPhone you have a great designed piece of hardware with a revolutionaire user interface and a handfull of nice apps. Unlocking it and adding all the great apps available makes it special. Yes, then you need storage, to save the videopodcasts, directly downloaded from the internet, or the YouTube movies saved with MXTube.

6. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

And how much did your Nokia E61 revolutionize the mobile phone industry lol? These are the words you need to ponder... IMPLEMENTATION & USER EXPERIENCE! That is why pretty much EVERYONE knows what an iPhone is but if you say to them Nokia E61 they would look at you like a deer in headlights!

All I can say is you are like a horse with blinders on! Huge lack of ability to see the future! Refer to the my post above this. They will make a 32GB soon, and it wont stop there trust me. They don't do it right now because of cost and a segmented product progress strategy. If they don't do it in June you will see it before Christmas.

It boggles my mind how people don't realize the significance of Apple's ability to create an amazing user experience. Think really hard about multi-touch and graphical user interfaces and if you take those blinders off you just might be able to answer your own questions!

7. lesouvage macrumors newbie

8. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

9. Archie- macrumors regular

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. My iPhone is 8GB which I got it as a gift about a month before the 16GB was announced. While I'd like the larger storage phone, I can't tell my wife and kids who got me my iPhone as a birthday present that. So I have to live with it. However, for me, it is a minor annoyance at most.

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

12. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

13. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

No they can't. At least not without a huge price hike.

The iPod touch uses two flash memory sticks, while the iPhone can only fit one. Thus, the capacity of the iPod touch will always be twice that of the iPhone.

Barring apple stupidly deciding to use a larger and highly more expensive NAND stick.

14. Archie- macrumors regular

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

16. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Eugh, but the RAZR had a disgusting UI. If Motorola had been working on their UI as well as they could've been, then it would still be popular.

Also look at the Prada which came out when the iPhone was announced. Yeah it looked good, and had MMS (big woop..) but the interface stinks big time.

17. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

18. Archie- macrumors regular

19. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This article states that the iPhone is the number one browser already in the US. Not to bad considering it has only been around less than a year.

http://www.macworld.com/article/132897/2008/04/iphonetop.html

22. Archie- macrumors regular

http://www.mmetrics.com/press/PressRelease.aspx?article=20080318-iphonehype

By that survey 80% of iPhone users dont use their iPhone for video, whereas 85% use it for web browsing.

Can you use your phone one-handed? Maybe the multi-touch feature is not that important after all. The fact is that the main usage is for zooming in the iPhone, and in Safari a double-tap is just as good.

I said Opera Mobile, not Mini. And I said the advantage the iPhone has is a a huge high-res screen. That, with a good browser, is pretty easy to replicate.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnJFSDwXfZo&feature=related

Being number 1 in USA is not very meaningful. The USA has around 8% of the world mobile phone market. CDMA is king in USA. You are only getting 3G now. The biggest phone manufacturer in the world, with near 40% of the market, does not feature in USA. You consider the generation 1 iPhone the greatest thing since sliced bread.

You are clearly an odd market. You really should not generalise your experience to the rest of the world.

[​IMG]

Nokia sold more than 18 million of their high-end devices world-wide, whereas Apple only sold 4 million. And remember that a huge amount of Apple US sales are being exported to the world market, so the iPhone might as well be released world-wide. And before cost is brought up, remember the unsubsidised N95 is $800, so its not exactly a cheap phone. None of the N-series phones are.

23. lesouvage macrumors newbie

24. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2