Form Factor of the 16 inch MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JamesGoodman, Aug 8, 2019.

1. JamesGoodman macrumors member

Is the new 16 inch MacBook Pro likely to be the same form factor as the current 15 inch, with a reduced bezel and thereby larger screen?

2. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

No one knows for sure though it's been studied. With the rumored resolution, the math works out that the screen is probably 16.4-inches diagonally. Given that, the overall footprint will need to be slightly bigger to accommodate the larger display. This video helps explain it. The pertinent part starts at 8 minutes in.

3. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I don't think it's likely to be exactly the same, though it will probably be pretty similar going by more recent rumours that it's going to be a direct replacement for the 15" (as opposed to a something new and considerably more powerful). From what we have so far it's likely to be a little thicker for a scissor mechanism keyboard (this isn't necessarily going to have dramatically more travel, probably similar to the magic KB) and depending on the exact diagonal, and just how small the bezel is going to be, probably a fractionally larger footprint too. I would put the upper size limit at no greater than the 2015 model, but likelihood is it will still be a little smaller than that.

4. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

But probably more expensive than the 15 inch was.

5. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I don't know, the rumours are all over the place for it - the latest ones seem to suggest it's going to virtually be a like for like replacement of the 15" with the current models discontinued immediately once it's released. I wouldn't have said that fits what Apple tend to do with phasing a model in from the top end (not to mention fully replacing a model after as little as 5 months on sale) but who knows :confused:

6. Wreckus, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

With the thinner bezels, Apple has a reason to jack up prices just for that. However, it can't see it being more than 100-200 US higher though.

7. eulslix macrumors regular

If Apple would go for a 16" screen, they'd be able to put fit the screen with the most ridiculously small margins into the current form factor while bumping the DPI to an equivalent of the 13,3" one. The DPI also would be exactly the same as in the discontinued 12" MB. I think this is a realistic scenario as well.

8. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

Since that video was made, we have heard that the dpi will be 227. Plugging that in with the reported resolution of 3,072×1,920 resolution, that would give a screen size of about 15.95", according to this calculator.

That would be consistent with the rumor the case will be the same size as the 15". Measuring my 15" screen, even with shrinking the bezels close to zero, it looks like it would be hard to fit in something over 16.25".

So this screen size bump may be as little as half-an-inch.

9. JamesGoodman, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

JamesGoodman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much everyone. I ask because even though all I need for my work and life is 13 inches, and I carry these things around a lot, I have never adjusted to the butterfly keyboards and I've been trying to adjust ever since the MacBook 12 was released. (Disclaimer: Keyboards Are Subjective, but even when mine have been working exactly as they are supposed to work, these keyboards are not for me.)

If the new 16 inch has a entirely new keyboard I will buy one, lug it around, and then sell it when the 13 inch Pro incorporates the same entirely new keyboard, as it is said they will in 2020.

Thanks so much for everyone's thoughts.

10. fokmik macrumors 68040

Yes we will have around 16.39" a bigger chassis to fit also the larger around built-in 90-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery with around 95-96W charging to came tot that standard 10hours light usage battery life
    So i guess it will have few mm in length and thickness, but not much...360mmx160mm and 2kg weight with probably Intel xeon E 45W

11. eulslix macrumors regular

This is rather improbable. The most likely case so far is that it'll be exactly the same size as the current 15" with a 16" screen, as mentioned in the previous posts. This would also be consistent with all the rumors.

12. leman macrumors G3

Do you have any sources on this? A 16” display will easily fit in the current chassis. It’s unlikely to consume any more power. And there will be zero benefit of offering a Xeon over the regular i9, since they are identical CPUs (sans ECC support)

13. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

Small margins do make sense, but what will they do with the camera without a bezel?

14. eulslix macrumors regular

I think they should have enough vertical space left, since the aspect ratio is 16:10 and the vertical bezels seem to be bigger

Who knows, maybe they’ll go for faceid. Here’s hoping...

15. danwells macrumors 6502

Do the Xeons offer (very slightly) higher clock speeds? I thought some of them were 100 or 200MHz higher in base, boost or both?

16. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

I'd trust Ming and other on dpi over Lin. 15.95 seems like an odd screen size and it sounds like they just backed into it as a guess.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2019 ---
    there is almost that amount of give if the bezels are reduced to get close to 16.4 - so they'd just have to widen it a tad and boom 16.4

17. leman macrumors G3

There is only one full (8-core) Coffee Lake R Xeon and its identical than its consumer counterpart (i9-9980HK), The only difference is enabled support for ECC RAM and some other Pro features (like Intel vPro) that are pointless on an Apple platform to begin with.

18. Blingers macrumors newbie

Why don’t they put a massive thin battery behind the screen. They manage something similar on an iPad but they could make it huge, prob wouldn’t need to increase the thickness much and then that would leave tons of space on the main laptop to put either more goodness in or just have more space for air flow.

19. danwells macrumors 6502

A pound of battery behind the screen would put enormous stress on the hinge. Even detachable laptops that need some of the battery to go behind the screen minimize it

If the Xeon is identical to the 9980HK except for ECC (which they might use in a 16" "super pro"), there is only one real case for using the Xeon... If Apple decided that Pro branding was for a line of machines that really are more powerful and aimed at the needs of creative professionals.

Mac Pro, iMac Pro, 16" MacBook Pro that starts in a 32/1 TB configuration with a Vega 20 (it depends on AMD having at least one "step up" GPU from that). If they do that, then "Pro is Xeon" becomes valuable from a marketing standpoint. The 15" MacBook Pro has always straddled the line between high-end mainstream notebook and thin-and-light mobile workstation.

Many of Apple's competitors have dealt with this by selling the same or very similar machines in their "business laptop" and "mobile workstation" lines - especially where 15" thin and lights are concerned. The workstation models tend to have Quadros while the closely related business laptops have GeForces that differ primarily in the driver. Apple goes right down the middle on this - a Radeon-branded GPU with an Apple-written driver that is, in many ways, closer to a workstation driver in stability.

This creates the obvious problem of what to do with the 13" MBP - a thoroughly mainstream consumer/business/student laptop that has been so from its introduction. If "Pro" is going to take on the meaning of "high-end/Xeon", the 13" is no longer a MacBook Pro. What to call it? MacBook would make perfect sense (and historically has meant something a lot like the 13" MBP), but that was taken over by the 2 lb MacBook, and now means the lightest machine in the line...

20. jerryk macrumors 601

I suspect that would make the device prone tipping over backwards, especially if you opened the screen to the point where the screen is closest to being parallel with the ground. Also, it would make the screen thick which would be so unApple-like with their obsession of thin and light displays. And you can't leave a ton of space for airflow in the base or the package when closed would be way thicker than the current MacBook Pro's which again is unApple-like.

21. SkyBezel macrumors newbie

I think the 16" looks like a new redesign cycle.
    I doubt they could make a macbook pro with amd video card any thinner.
    The macbook and airs are thinner probably because they don't have 3rd party graphics cards.
    They may have trouble trying to hollow out the inside of the case any more because of rigidity concerns.
    So could be their answer for coming up with something new - expanding the screen more and reducing bezels has already been a theme with iphone and ipad.
    Not sure how they will change from the butterfly mechanism as it probably was why they were able to make the 2016 so thin in the first place. If they switch back to the old style keys the may not stick up as much but maybe sunk in some.