format a hard drive with a HFS & NTFS partion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sossity, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

can this be done? & how? say I want a hard drive to be readable on both windows & mac OS, but don't want the 4gb file size limit of fat 32, this is the other thing I thought of would this work?

I would use this for backups of my DVD's & other movie projects, items,maybe TV shows from itunes, etc.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is the third thread you've started that I've posted this information for you. Maybe you'll read it this time.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    • Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)
    • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
    • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner backups of Mac internal hard drive.
    • To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
    • To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
    • Maximum file size: 8EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 8EiB
    exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • exFAT partitions created with OS X 10.6.5 are inaccessible from Windows 7
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well thanks for the post, but I am familiar with these formats, & have read it, but I wanted to know more than that like how to actually make an HFS & NTFS partition, all you have posted is the definitions of the file formats, I wanted to go further, & I have also Googled this as well, & see others have asked this, so I dont think my question was unreasonable. So I guess I will look to mroogle for help.

Not everybody can just choose one or the other formats, I do encounter windows computers still, so I cant just ditch windows formats for all mac formats, & it is all nice & well to install mac drive for windows on my windows computer at home or NTFS 3G on my mac, (which looks a bit complicated, still a mac newbie), but if I find myself needing to plug in my hard drive into a mac or pc that is not mine, I can just go in & try to install Mac drive or NTFS 3G on their computers to read my drive, I need to be able to use it on the spot, hence my question on splitting the drive into NTFS or HFS.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you launch Disk Utility and use the Help feature, it gives you step-by-step instructions on how to partition and format drives.
    ScreenCap 6.png
    It's not complicated at all.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You would format the drive using Disk Utility into two partitions. If you want one of those to be an NTFS partition, you'll need to make sure that you've already installed NTFS-3G, or you can format it as FAT32 and then use a Windows computer to reformat that partition as NTFS later.

Pretty straightforward overall...

jW

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What if the Mac side is full and you're on a Mac? Or the file you need is on the Mac half and you're on Windows?