Format a Mac w/out OSX cd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PimpIntInxs, Nov 13, 2011.

1. PimpIntInxs, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

PimpIntInxs macrumors member

Hi my mac has started to slow down and I have a ton of crap on here I just want to get rid of everything and start over... I lost my OS X CD....

Is there a way to format my harddrive without having to reinstall the operating system?

Appreciate it thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

There is no Mac OS X 10.7 Lion DVD, neither grey Restore nor Retail DVD. Did you Mac come with Lion or an earlier version of Mac OS X?
    OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery

3. PimpIntInxs, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

PimpIntInxs thread starter macrumors member

SORRY i have Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

not lion.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

formatting the hard drive will wipe the operating system; by definition, formatting removes everything.

5. simsaladimbamba

With what Mac OS X version did the Mac come with, or which month and year did you buy it?
    If it is before early 2010, you can get the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD and use that, but iLife will not be included. Or you contact Apple and ask for Replacement DVDs for 15 to 30 USD.

6. Rowf macrumors regular

Or backup Snow Leopard and clean install Lion...........

7. PimpIntInxs thread starter macrumors member

Say I go the upgrade route... Do I need my initial CD the computer came with?? What if I don't have that?? then can i use the $29 upgrade lion??

If I buy Lion and just use that as a clean install how much is it new, vs upgrade?

8. Rowf macrumors regular

http://www.macworld.com/article/161064/2011/07/installing_lion_complete_guide.html

As long as you have access to the App Store you can down load it from there and either upgrade via the install from the App Store or make your own boot disk or usb key.
    The pricing is the same either way.

Apple sell a Lion usb install key

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256Z/A#overview

Snow Leopard is still available from Apple for the price of the Lion download or you can pick up a copy of Snow Leopard on Amazon.

9. PimpIntInxs thread starter macrumors member

So I found my old CD and formatted my mac and now im on Leopard.... I dont have a macstore app because apparently you have to have snow leopard for the app.... How can I upgrade to lion without the app?

Do i have to upgrade to snow leopard and then upgrade to Lion?

Thanks.

10. PimpIntInxs thread starter macrumors member

Can I download Snow Leopard or do I need the CD?

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

You need to buy the DVD.

12. Rowf macrumors regular

http://www.macworld.com/article/161087/2011/07/install_lion_over_leopard.html

Even if you choose to follow the method outlined in this link you will still need access to a mac with SL.