format a partition made by bootcamp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dougbrowne, Jul 17, 2007.

1. dougbrowne macrumors member

Okay... I have mac os x 10.4.8 on my macbook and i want to install mac os x tiger Server edition (for testing purposes) on the same drive ut on a different partition.. but i did not want to loose all my data if i partition so i tried using bootcamp to make a 2ed partition with 15GB of space.. the prtition is made but i cant format it or erase it. here are some pics.

This is what the erase screen looks like
    [​IMG]

When i click mount an hourglass comes up for like 2 secs and no errors come up but it's still isnt mounted even though it says this in the log.
    "Mount of “disk0s3” succeeded"

Heres a pic of the info screen of that partition.
    [​IMG]

can anybody help?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Never tried it but I think you;re out of luck. The MSWindows operating system and the Mac OS use different partition maps, and the Bootcamp software does some funkiness to allow them to coexist. I don;t think Tiger would function from there even if your got it to mount.

I'll leave it to the *NIX heads to suggest whether a command line workaround can be done to reformat it.

3. dougbrowne thread starter macrumors member

lol... what im trying to do is reformat it in the mac os x partition map the
    mac os x extended (journaled one) lol... not mount it and install it with that partition mac....

4. Willehard macrumors newbie

Willehard

boot from a os x install dvd and use disk utility from there