format a partition made by bootcamp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dougbrowne, Jul 17, 2007.

1. dougbrowne macrumors member

Jun 5, 2007
    Okay... I have mac os x 10.4.8 on my macbook and i want to install mac os x tiger Server edition (for testing purposes) on the same drive ut on a different partition.. but i did not want to loose all my data if i partition so i tried using bootcamp to make a 2ed partition with 15GB of space.. the prtition is made but i cant format it or erase it. here are some pics.

This is what the erase screen looks like

When i click mount an hourglass comes up for like 2 secs and no errors come up but it's still isnt mounted even though it says this in the log.
    "Mount of “disk0s3” succeeded"

Heres a pic of the info screen of that partition.

can anybody help?
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Never tried it but I think you;re out of luck. The MSWindows operating system and the Mac OS use different partition maps, and the Bootcamp software does some funkiness to allow them to coexist. I don;t think Tiger would function from there even if your got it to mount.

I'll leave it to the *NIX heads to suggest whether a command line workaround can be done to reformat it.
  3. dougbrowne thread starter macrumors member

Jun 5, 2007
    lol... what im trying to do is reformat it in the mac os x partition map the
    mac os x extended (journaled one) lol... not mount it and install it with that partition mac....
  4. Willehard macrumors newbie

Apr 10, 2006
    boot from a os x install dvd and use disk utility from there