Format a Protected disc?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleFan22, Oct 14, 2014.

1. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

So I've filmed a show, and I've offered people DVD copies of it, however it seems that most DVD players can't read the way that Finder burns DVDs, so I tried using Burn, which didn't work out (It said DVD capacity was too low, even though there was around 2GB of free space after). But now these discs that I've tried burning have permissions "You can only read". Is there any software/application (FREE?) that will either unlock or format the disc for me? They're DVD-R discs. Hopefully that won't make a difference. Can anyone help?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Once burned, you can't change anything on a DVD-R. It's theoretically possible to add more data to a DVD that's already partly burned (although it often is not a good result, or doesn't work at all)
    Bottom line, burning a DVD is a one-time event, and the DVD is done. You can't erase or reformat through any means. It's not "locked", but it's just not eraseable.
    If you intend to do that, then use DVD-RW. The "W" means writeable, or eraseable. The RW cost more, and erasing tends to add to disk errors - the coating may deteriorate with more errors after only a few erasures (at least in my experience.)
    So, DVD-R or DVD+R are one-time only. If you make a mistake, or can't use the result in the desired player, then the DVD just goes straight to the bin - it's what most folks call a "coaster" - no good for anything else.