Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grunze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Hi,

In my office we have a number of powermacs/mac pros and a mac mini and an imac.

We use the mac mini as a 'office admin' type computer, but it works very slowly. I'd like to transfer everything on it (migrate may be the term) to one of the older G5s and use that instead. Now the G5 I'd like to use needs to be formatted and given a fresh start.. and then suck up EVERYTHING from the mini.

How should I go about doing all of this?

One catch is that all the powermac install discs are in storage somewhere.. that I cannot get to. I do however, have the install discs from the imac. Will that work?

Thanks for the help!! :apple:

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
After performing an erase & install on the G5, you will have the opportunity while going through the setup assistant to migrate from another Mac. You can do this via Firewire, ethernet, or over a wireless network. The FireWire method requires you to start up the mac mini holding T as if you were entering target disk mode. Ethernet and wireless require a passcode to be entered on both units. For best results with a wireless migration, set up internet sharing from the mac mini, and connect to its network from the G5. If you don't do the migration during the setup assistant, you will only be able to pull over scattered files and folders, etc, not a complete transfer of info from the mini.

Note: You don't need install discs for the mini to do the migration.

Grunze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
That's great! Thanks!

One question though.. do I need install discs for the G5? I only have install discs from an intel imac...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.