Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Todthebod

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
How do I format and install fresh OS? I want to do it so I can sell it. I didn't see a disc anywhere in the box unless I lost it. I'm usually good about keeping those sort of things. I see a sealed black thing in the box that looks like it could be a holder for a disc but I don't know.

I've turned my house upside down looking for a disc that may or may not exist. My wife got it for me for Christmas 2011 if that has to do with anything.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If its a fairly new mac and your version of the OS is Lion, or Mountain Lion then the computer did not come with a disk.

Reboot the computer and hold the cmd and r keys together. That will get you into the recovery mode and from there you can reformat the drive (via the disk utility) and reinstall the OS.

Todthebod

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
I must be doing it wrong. I hit the Command - R thing and went through the 'Reinstall fresh OSX'. It verified and installed but when it finished and booted up , it still had all my same stuff on there.

Do I have to go to the utility thing and erase before I do this?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I must be doing it wrong. I hit the Command - R thing and went through the 'Reinstall fresh OSX'. It verified and installed but when it finished and booted up , it still had all my same stuff on there.

Do I have to go to the utility thing and erase before I do this?

Yes, once you get to the recovery screen from the command-r boot you need to start Disk Util and erase Macintosh HD... then reinstall the OS. This will get you a fresh install with nothing but the OS on there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.