Format and Reinstall OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dissdnt, Feb 22, 2009.

1. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Hey guys,

My Leopard has really been slow and locking up a lot. I want to format and reinstall OSX and install only apps i need.

I have so much junk from when i first got it 2 years ago so i'd rather start fresh.

What's the best way to wipe the entire drive and then install OSX?

Does the install disk do that for you?

Thanks

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Pop in the install disc and reboot, it will direct you.

3. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

just insert the install disk and every time you see an options click on it and click on erase and install when you see that

or just click on utilities in the menubar and select disk utility and erase the boot drive

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

As was mentioned above, you use the Options button to specify the type of installation you want (which in your case will be the "Erase and Install".

Because the button is so easy to overlook and miss, I just wanted to add that it appears at the bottom left of the screen that appears that asks you what drive you wish to install the OS on.

5. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Great, thanks guys.

In general i can grab stuff off my time machine backups after I reinstall?

Im guessing yes, but just want to make sure that backups are specific to a certain machines setup. So after i format it won't come up to allow me to.. but im sure it will.

6. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Time Machine BackUps don't include Leopard/iLife/iWork (and probably other) files, so your restore will have all of your documents, settings, media and third party apps, but you will have to reinstall/update the apple apps. You may need to re-enter any serial numbers too.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Not trying to contradict that really, but unless you have manually excluded them, TM actually does back up the files you mentioned.

As an example (just to make sure I wasn't imagining it!;)) , I just deleted iMovie from my boot drive and emptied the trash. Went into Time Machine, stepped one step back, selected iMovie and hit restore. It asked me for my password and proceeded to restore it fine from the TM backup.

A list of the files that Time Machine excludes as default can be viewed at this site. The default excluded files in a TM backup are mainly caches and temp files.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Link is broken. Should be like this...

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Thanks for picking that up-- I forgot to check the hyperlink before posting it. The original in my post has been corrected also.

10. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Reason I said that was I recently migrated to my new MBA from a fresh Time Machine backup of my MacBook with no exclusions, I then had to reinstall/update as detailed in my earlier post.