Format and....?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by billmister, Nov 28, 2007.

1. billmister macrumors 6502

Hey guys, ok so my internal HD comes in today. Anyway after i install it. I'm confused on what to do about the Os installs topic.

Here's the thing, My iMac came with tiger Os. Then i purchased the Family pack Leopard. Do i need to install tiger and all the software bundle i want and THEN install Leopard?

Or Do i just boot from the Leopard disk. Disk Utility and format my HD. then install leapard without having to install Tiger first? Reason why i ask is. Before i purchased leopard there was talk that there was a Upgrade Leopard version and a Whole version (like Windowz).

Will booting (pressing and holding "c") to the leopard dvd be ok. Install leopard and then inserting my Tiger disk to install my aps like iphoto, imovieHD, Garageband, etc...

Anyway if that is the way to do it. which option do i choose?.. Clean install or erase and install.. thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

For your first question - actually, it doesn't matter. Either way should work just fine. The answer to your second question: Don't worry! There's no "upgrade" or "full" versions of Leopard, just the Single User and Family Pack. Regarding your third question, yes. Holding down C to boot from the DVD should work. Finally, your fourth question: Erase and Install and Clean Install are two different names for the same thing - format the hard drive then install Mac OS X.

3. britpop macrumors member

But my new iMac had a OS X 10.5 Leopard drop in DVD that needed OSX 10.4 to be installed before installing and yes I tried it on a machine with 10.2 on it. It didnt work.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The discs that come with new Macs are very different from the retail discs. The retail discs are not machine-specific. The ones that come with a Mac are - since your new iMac is almost certainly an Intel one, and the old Mac a PowerPC one, and the disc that came with your iMac is almost certainly both Intel-only AND specific to that iMac model, that would explain why it didn't work.

In my above comment I was referring to the retail discs.

5. unity macrumors 6502a

Let me expand on this:

Disc that came with computer that is also the factory OS installed: Machine specific (meaning only iMacs or only MacBooks, etc). These CDs are usually grey in color.

Leopard drop-in disc: Not machine specific but requires 10.4 to be installed first. But it is a full version and you do have the option to archive and install or erase a drive and install it. It simply searches for 10.4 first, but does not require it beyond that. CD looks like retail but in basic sleeve.

Leopard retail: Not machine specific (outside basic system requirements) and no prior OS required to be in place before install.

6. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

ok cool.. Because i purchased my Leopard disk (family pack)

So i will boot up from leopard

go to disk utility, pick my hard drive and Click ERASE

Then once erased(formated) click to install Os

Then do the Clean Install.

Then put in my Tiger Os disk and install software bundle ONLY

And install software i want, then proceed with ilife, iworks, appzapper, etc..Correct?\

I did this before but never disk utility and erase.. i only "upgraded" option on the disk.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You've got it. That's exactly what to do.

8. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a MILLION! Thank you everyone for your fast replies :)

9. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

What you need to do is google for the instructions turning it into a 'full version' dvd which stops detecting the underlying operating system. I can't provide you with a link on here because I might get screamed at by the mod, but the information is available if you use google.