Format as APFS or APFS (encrypted)?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by LarryJoe33, Mar 29, 2018.

1. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

I have an image that I created of High Sierra that had FileVault turned on (which encrypts the drive).

I realize the file system has nothing to do with the image, but if I were to restore the image to a clean drive, would I choose APFS Encrypted?

If I didn’t and the image transfers would it would be looked for the prior state?

2. Kingcr macrumors member

3. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

CCC5

4. Kingcr macrumors member

If this is a system image (as opposed to a secondary disk), you’ll want to restore to a non-encrypted APFS container and then turn FileVault on again.

5. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Thanks. The image I would be restoring had FV on which encrypts the drive. Just to be clear, if I restore that to a non-encrypted drive, what happens?

6. Kingcr macrumors member

In that case, the files should be restored unencrypted, because CCC would have stored the unencrypted form in the image. Turning FV on again would then re-encrypt the restored files. The reason you don’t want to restore directly to an encrypted APFS container for a system volume is because of the way macOS handles FV keys during the boot process.

7. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Perfect, thank you again, that's what I thought/heard/read here. Exactly what I was looking for.