format disc and reinstall everything.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattsajay, Jul 29, 2007.

1. mattsajay macrumors member

hi i would like to format my hard disc and reinstall the os from scratch.

what suggestions does everyone have for a basic install (eg omitting language support, other stuff) so that i dont waste a few GBs of hard disc space on stuff tht i would never use. are there any online resource / help manual / intructions for doing OSX installs based on individual needs.

just fyi, i plan to make the macbook pro triple boot (windows xp and ubuntu linux).

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

So far as I know there aren't that many options when installing the OS from scratch. The ones that you're interested in are the developer tools, the extra languages, the extra asian fonts, and the extra printer drivers.

Basically, it's pretty simple in my experience:

First, unless you're creating documents in one of the relevant languages (I think southeast asian, but I forget), leave out the extra asian fonts--they won't do you ANY good.

Second, leave out the language translations of any language the computer won't be used in. So if, say, you speak English and your friend might want to use it in Spanish, check those two and leave everything else out. Remember that it's not that the computer can't USE those languages--the built-in applications and OS just won't have menus available in any languages you leave out. Seems pretty unlikely that you'd suddenly decide to switch the interface to another language that you hadn't planned on.

Third, unless you have some freakishly rare printer around, just leave out all the extra printer drivers. Even without those the OS has support for most common consumer printers, and even if it didn't you can probably download and install the specific driver you need from the manufacturer's website. The "extra" printers are a laundry list of older and obscure printers that almost nobody has, so it's a pointless waste of space to install them "just in case".

Fourth, only install the developer tools if you need them. If you're not sure, you don't, and you can always install them later if you change your mind.

And again, just to reiterate, if you don't install the extra fonts or ANY other language translations, you can STILL view and even type in most languages--Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and more are all still installed and usable. You just can't switch the menus to those languages.

Hope that helps you out.

3. mattsajay thread starter macrumors member