Format drive as 2 partitions, possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by WillFisher, Mar 18, 2013.

1. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't 100% sure where to put it/if it had been asked before.

Basically, I currently have an iTunes library on my Mac Mini of about 120gb, so not too much. I'm looking at getting an external drive around 2TB, but I was wondering...
    I have 1 250GB external that I use as backup for my MBP, but don't have a backup for my Mac Mini. I'm a student so I'd like to save money initially and only get 1 drive, I was wondering if I could partition 1 drive, say a 2TB drive, into 1TB as storage, and the other 1TB as a backup drive for time machine? Is this possible?
    Then, when money issues are over, actually get a second drive. But for the meantime, can I do that?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, that is possible with Disk Utility.

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You can, but you won't have any backup for the data on the storage partition. If the drive dies, you lose both your storage and your Time Machine backup.

4. WillFisher thread starter macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Thanks for the replies guys!

I understand that I will lose both data and backup, but it would only be a temporary solution, maybe 6 months at the very most. Hopefully I'll be okay for then. Thank you!

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Since it's temporary, I'd suggest not partitioning. You can use the drive for Time Machine and also copy files to the unused space on it. That way, when you get a dedicated data drive later you can just move the data off this drive & it won't need to be re-partitioned.

6. WillFisher thread starter macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Ah okay, even better! Thanks for the help!

7. Jesla, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

A safer way, and what I did, is to let TM have the whole 2T. Then using Disk Utility shrink the Sparsebundle down to 1T. This will not allow TM to use more than 1T and leaves you with 1T for your data outside the sparsebundle.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"I was wondering if I could partition 1 drive, say a 2TB drive, into 1TB as storage, and the other 1TB as a backup drive for time machine? Is this possible?"

If I were you, I'd maintain TWO "partitioned backup" drives. You want your data in at least two places (in case the first backup drive fails).

Although they aren't as snazzy-looking on your desk as standalone hard drives can be, I'd suggest you consider spending $30 or so for a USB3/SATA "docking station". Then get a couple of "bare" drives (look for them on sale cheap). It's _possible_ you may even locate someone in school with a used drive they don't need or want anymore.

Put the drive(s) in the dock, initialize (using Disk Utility), partition if desired, then use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make clones of your data. (or even just copy manually, if it's "just data", like music files, not including system files.)

With a USB3/SATA dock, you can easily swap drives around to create specialized backups as needed. Just keep the bare drive in a static-bag or just a safe place in your drawer if not needed. (I use a plugable.com "lay-flat" dock to hold an SSD that I use as my external booter on this Mini).

For a USB3/SATA dock, I'd recommend this one (available from amazon):
    http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Dock...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003UI62AG
    Very reasonably priced and fast, too.

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

This is exactly what I use for my Time Machine disks. I rotate disks once a week. I would not recommend it for an external data drive, since that's something you want always on-line, but for Time Machine it's terrific.

I also have a little collection of these to store the disks in when they're not docked:

http://amzn.com/B003OBZQSS