Format external harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Koefod, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Koefod macrumors newbie

Hello

I have a 250 gb external harddrive working as my Time Machine backup. I have 100 gb free disk space on it, and would like to reformat some of the space so i can use the drive as a normal external harddrive.

Is there any way of doing this, without having to delete my time machine backups?

- Morten

2. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Try using Disk utility to non-destructively create a new partition on your time machine disk?

Should work ok.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You do not need to do anything - you can use your hard drive as normal - Time Machine will work fine. The only problem would arise if you fill up the disk then Time Machine will start to delete the oldest backup files.

You don't need a separate partition for Time Machine and another for your other files.....

4. Koefod thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to use the partition as a PC-external drive, and the present formatting doesn't allow that. I've downloaded iPartition, but the Demo won't seem to do the trick, and i don't want to but the 35$ program just for the one formatting!

Haven't tried the Disk Utility solution yet..

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Ah - that is different !!

You can use Disc Utility to create a FAT 32 partition on the disc - as long as you don't have files larger than 4 GB you will be ok.

Disc Utility will allow you to create another partition on the disc without destroying all your data. I would play safe though and copy the Time Machine back-up to the hard disc on your Mac just in case anything goes wrong.

6. Koefod thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried looking at Disc Utility, but it won't let me split the drive without me having to delete the Time Machine backups.. So i think a program like iPartition is the way to go, just trying to find one for free ;)

Thanks for your help