Format Flash Drive FAT32 Mac!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sridvijay, Sep 14, 2010.

1. sridvijay macrumors newbie

Hey,

I need to format my flash drive into a FAT32 partition. I need this to work on both PC's and Macs. I tried using Disk Utility but that is only FAT. Even if it FAT32, my PC can't recognize it! Please Help! I can do this on my PC, but I want t o know just for information knowledge just in case!

Thanks,
    Vijay

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

FAT or MS-DOS File System is the term Disk Utility uses for FAT32.

Guide on how to use Disk Utility from the restore / installation DVD.

Format Your Hard Drive Using Disk Utility

Partition Your Hard Drive With Disk Utility

In Windows you can format via Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management.

[​IMG]

I have formatted several USB memory sticks in Disk Utility and they worked fine in Windows, just make sure, the partition scheme is set to MBR (Master Boot Record), thus Windows can read and write from and to it.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Most flash drives are formatted FAT32 out of the blister pack and can be used as is by virtually every Mac ever built. Install NTFS-3G or one of the commercial NTFS drivers, format your thumb drive as NTFS, and have a much more reliable SneakerNet between your Mac and Windows computers.

4. sridvijay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Hey,

Sorry, but I have a Mac, not a PC! And Number 2 is that I formatted my Flash Drive to Mac OS Extended Journaled, to boot a operating system off of it. Now after I did that, I want to put it back to FAT32! I know I can use my PC, but right now I don't have it!

Thanks for the Quick Reply,
    Vijay:confused:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can't you just set the partition type to MBR and then the format to FAT32 in the disk utility for the flash drive?

Am I missing something here, I've done that on my flash drives myself and I was able to go back and forth between format types easily within the disk utility.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Follow the links spinnerlys provided. They are for Mac.

7. Lovie85 macrumors newbie

New to Mac...help with Flash Drive

I just got a new Mac. All of my PC files are on a Flash Drive. I connected the Flash Drive to the Mac and could pull up some of the files (pictures mainly). Then, not knowing not to:(, put the Flash Drive back into the PC. Now I can not open anything on the Flash Drive. Both the Mac and PC says the Flash Drive is not formatted. Can and How do I format the Flash Drive without losing all of my files.

8. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

I don't think that the is a way to format it without losing your data.
    Can you check what file system you have on your Flash Drive?

9. Lovie85 macrumors newbie

New to Mac...help with Flash Drive

Neither the Mac or Pc will recognize the flash drive. I was told I should be able to format the Flash Drive without loosing my files. How would I do that?

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You can't.

11. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

you can, just not with disk utility.
    furthermore if you do it it has to be the same format and partition table.

its really only usable for "formating" to fix header errors and merging/splitting partitions.