format for ripping form DVD to FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by shadowschild, Nov 5, 2008.

1. shadowschild macrumors member

so yes i have searched all over these forums and others and tried and tried to no avail. MPEG streamclip does not work i dont have the proper quicktime and i have no idea what format is good. I have tried handbrake with different format but FCE will never except anything. what format is good, how can i get it FREE? i have a deadline for a project so i need it soon! thanks all!:D

2. -DH macrumors 65816

MPEG Streamclip WILL work for non-commercial DVDs IF you have the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component. Since you don't want to pay $20.00 for that, you're cheapest and quickest option would be to connect a DVD player to your DV device and capture it in FCE ... assuming its not copyright protected material.

-DH

3. shadowschild thread starter macrumors member

ok so i got quicktime pro but mpeg stream clip still is not recognizing it

4. shadowschild thread starter macrumors member

so i went back and tried to import with stuff i have used before and it still wont work, i always get this error
    File Error: 1 files recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unkown

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

if you buy quicktime pro, it doesn't mean you mpeg-2 (I believe)

6. -DH macrumors 65816

Why did you buy QuickTime Pro? While it is handy to have, you don't need it to make MPEG Streamclip work. As I stated in my post above, you need to have QuickTime's MPEG-2 Playback Component in order for MPEG Streamclip work with a DVD's VOB files. It even states this in their website:

"This free software requires at least Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) and QuickTime 6. It is also compatible with Mac OS X 10.3.x (Panther), Mac OS X 10.4.x (Tiger), Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) and QuickTime 7. It works with PowerPC and Intel based Macs.

For MPEG-2 playback and conversion, you need the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component. You can buy it from Apple (www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2). If you have either Final Cut Pro or DVD Studio Pro, then the component is already installed and you don't have to buy it; but you may need to download the latest version from Apple. If you bought an older version of the component, you can update it to the latest version (www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/update). Note that the MPEG-2 component is neither required nor useful for MPEG-1 or MPEG-4 files. But it is required for VOB files and transport streams, because they are MPEG-2 files.
    "

-DH

7. shadowschild thread starter macrumors member

ok so now i am beggining to thing it is a FCE problem cause i keep getting File Error: 1 files recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unkown