Format HDD to exFAT possible now??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wickedny5, Nov 12, 2010.

1. wickedny5 macrumors member

Now that exFAT is supported in 10.6.5, can I reformat my HDD for better performance?? i have the Hitachi 500GB @7200 RPM that ships with the MBP

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

For running Mac OS X on it?

If that is the case, better leave it at Mac OS Extended (HFS+).

3. wickedny5 thread starter macrumors member

yea from what I've read and heard, exFAT file structure is much faster than other formats. I was thinking of reformatting the MBP HDD where mac osx is installed. I have 1TB external where I can do a backup just incase anything goes wrong.. I just want to know if its possible and if I would gain performance in doing so.

4. cube macrumors G5

exFAT is a crappy format for digicam cards. It is not for "large" disks because it's not journaled.

5. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Just because OSX supports it, it does not mean you can install a system on it. Therefore, I believe you are not able to do that.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Where exactly have you read and heard this?

There are some advantages to using exFAT on very large sdxc and USB flash drives, but I wouldn't put it on a native OS file system. You're still going to want NTFS on a Windows boot partition, and even if OS X would boot on exFAT, you'd still get better performance and advantages using HFS+.

Nope, and nope.