Format & Install Clean?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, Mar 22, 2014.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hi there

I got an old 2009 MBP 17'' that I'd like to wipe clean/ format and install Mavericks on. However there's no option to format drive and install fresh when upgrading to Mavericks via App store.

How can I do it without a Mavericks USB stick?

I do have a new 2nd MBP and FireWire cable so I could start the old MBP in "T"-mode but not sure how to install it from there.

Any ideas?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Afaik, the only way is to create a bootable installer via a USB stick/SD card.

Download the installer from the App Store, then stick in a USB stick that's at least 8GB, open Terminal and run this command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/insert_drive_name --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Replace insert_drive_name with the name of your USB stick. Then let Terminal do its job. Don't quit it until the process is completed.

3. HomerThompson macrumors newbie

For me, Disc Maker X did the trick:
    http://liondiskmaker.com/

I performed a clean install in order to run Disk Utility and encrypt the filesystem before installing Mavericks.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

How much RAM do you have installed?

I'd suggest upgrading to 10.8 Mountain Lion, rather than Mavericks. My opinion only...

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can easily do this without a USB key at all, but it will require downloading the OS twice.

Just go to the App Store and download and then install Mavericks right over top of your existing install. As part of this install Mavericks will create a recovery partition on your hard drive.

After the Mavs install is done, go ahead and restart and hold command-r as it reboots. This will get you to the screen below.

[​IMG]

Now open Disk Utility from this screen and in the erase tab select Macintosh HD then erase it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). This will give you a wiped drive with nothing left but the recovery partition.

Now quit Disk Utility then click Reinstall OS X. The ~5GB Mavs OS will download and install to your drive. When the install is complete and the system reboots you will be met with the setup process where you can make a new account.

This gets you a completely clean install with nothing but your new account on there.

6. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Ohhh THANK YOU!