Format issue; does anyone know?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LMR80, Nov 13, 2016.

1. LMR80 macrumors member

hi,

I'm to format one of my drives for use with boot camp.

I've already had Windows 10 installed on my Mac and was using it through bootcamp.
    Long story short, Something went wrong When an update happened and I couldn't restore back so have to start again.

I used the same disk image as I did before and launched the media creation tool for Windows hoping to erase the drive and format it, and start again.

When k did this though it said that the drive was formatted to GPT and needed to be NTSF to work.
    From what I've been reading online you can only format a drive with that format on a Windows machine, so I'm stumped as to what I actually so here, and also why it's happened in the first place when I'd already used that drive for Windows one before, and didn't have any issues.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

I believe you have to use BootCamp Assistant to do the formatting:

3. LMR80 thread starter macrumors member

Oh right, I'll have a look. Thanks

4. chscag macrumors 68000

Boot Camp does not format a partition as NTSF, it will format it as FAT-32. It's only when the Windows 10 installation starts that you can format the partition to NTSF. If you need to format drives to NTSF from your Mac, there is third party software which can do it. Paragon NTSF from Paragon Software is one such utility. ($19.95)

5. LMR80 thread starter macrumors member

I see.
    As I'm reading your post, formatting it to FAT32 will then allow you to further format it to NTSF, is that right?

I shouldn't need to specifically format the drive with extra software, I'm just trying to move forward from that message that it's formatted to the wrongly, and as I say I've already been running Windows fine on that drive before hand so I don't really know what's gone wrong this time.

Thanks for the post.

6. chscag macrumors 68000

>As I'm reading your post, formatting it to FAT32 will then allow you to further format it to NTSF, is that right?

Yes, that's correct. The Boot Camp Assistant will format the partition where Windows will be installed as FAT-32. Later in the process as the Windows installation begins you will be directed to choose that partition where Windows is to be installed and at the same time format it to NTSF. Boot Camp does not have the ability to format NTSF.

7. LMR80 thread starter macrumors member

It worked.
    Thanks very much!