Format Mac, how to backup iPhone apps + network question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by queshy, Aug 1, 2008.

1. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been asked. I did a search and really couldn't find it.

Quick question - if I format my Mac, but I backup my iTunes folder, will I be able to recover my Apps after I wipe my hard drive? It really wouldn't make much sense if you had to rebuy everything after formatting - so is it as simple as making a copy on a HD of your iTunes folder?

My other question is an interesting one - my Fido iPhone, which has always said Fido, just switched to saying "ROGERS" about an hour ago. How come?

Thanks!

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The obvious first question is, why reformat your Mac?

3. InSaNeCyAnUr macrumors member

Apps will work afterwards....I did an Apps transfer on 2 computers (PC to Mac) and they worked. Even if they didn't work....iTunes Store keeps track of what you bought and can get it back free.

For the Fido/Rogers thing, if you are in a low coverage area like mine (I drop to 1 bar when I enter my house, it can change to Rogers). I don't know why, but when it gets stronger, it will get back on Fido.

4. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Why not? We all know that after a long time, reformatting can speed up your computer. I think a good clean install is called for every once and a while, if you have time.

Glad to hear the Apps work.

Thanks for the answers - It actually changed back to fido this morning. BTW this was happening in my house, just like yours.
    Weird.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is one of the most appalling of all the Mac myths. OSX isn't Windows -- it doesn't auto-hose. Reinstalling OSX is almost never needed, and this "clean install" thing (presumably, you mean a "reformat and install") is for the obsessive-compulsive only.

6. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Yes, I do mean a reformat and install.

There's a lot of junk on my computer that I know I don't need. My computer always feels faster after a fresh format.

My old PC needed to be reformatted every few months or it was just a cow otherwise. My Mac was last formatted about a year ago and I remember it being faster. And yeah, you are right, maybe I am a bit OC.

What I do know, though, is that doing an "upgrade" to Leopard is NOT as good as a clean install (not really related here...)