Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
I am continuing to have trouble with my MacBook 2.0 and want to reformat my hard drive, but am getting stuck. I booted up with disk 1 and got the point where I click on "erase" but nothing happens. I've spent the last hour searching for basic instructions on how to do this, but am coming up empty. Any suggestions?

Vintage

lallenlowe

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
easier

just choose the "erase and instal" option, that'll do it. Or download a certain Live linux Distro called Gparted boot off of it and do it the slightly harder way. If you have any more specific questions, just post them! :)

lallenlowe

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
just choose the "erase and instal" option, that'll do it. Or download a certain Live linux Distro called Gparted boot off of it and do it the slightly harder way. If you have any more specific questions, just post them! :)

lallenlowe

Where do I find this option? My startup disk is 10.4.8.

Vintage

lallenlowe

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
hmmmm, well...

I know where it is on the leopard install DVD, but I've never actually installed Tiger, hmmmmmm. Well there are four options:

1. I fly out to where you live and do it for you

2. You figure out how to erase and install by checking all available options and advanced tabs, tec, or using disk utility form the DVD maybe

3. You buy leopard cause it's easier than snot on there

4. Or you download and run GParted

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
I know where it is on the leopard install DVD, but I've never actually installed Tiger, hmmmmmm. Well there are three options:

1. I fly out to where you live and do it for you

2. You figure out how to erase and install by checking all available options and advanced tabs, tec, or using disk utility form the DVD maybe

3. You buy leopard cause it's easier than snot on there

4. Or you download and run GParted

Now I'm really confused-- do I have three or four options...?

I am using Disk Utility off of the Start Up Disk #1, but as I said before, when I click on "erase" nothing happens, actually it reloads the same screen.

Vintage

lallenlowe

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
ok the REAL three options

1. find someone else who knows more about the tiger installer

2. BUY LEOPARD

3. get Gparted

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
Hmm, when you boot off of the DVD you should have some options on what sort of install you would like to do. You only have 2 option, those being Erase & Install and Archive & Install. What you want is the Erase & Install option. It will tell you that all data will be erased etc etc and then wipe the hard drive clean and install a fresh copy of Tiger.
If that fails you could always boot off the DVD and then access Disk Util. from the Utilities Menu and try the Erase tab, but seeing as that doesn't work for you its not really an option ;) If all else fails I would try that again though
Hope thats OK (Y)

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Found it! I tried again, this time not using "Disk Utility," but the "Installer." The first screen on the Installer looks like it is only to install additional software, but the second (or was it third) screen gave the "erase and install" option. Clicking on "install" in order to erase is sort of like clicking on "Start" to in order to shut down as I saw on another computer one time...

Thanks for your help.

Vintage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.