Format Problems

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by illegalprelude, Sep 16, 2007.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Ok you guys. This is a problem ive ran into regularly on the PC and now my Mac.

I like taking songs and making music videos to. Just having fun with a music video for Final Fantasy or Pirates or Matrix.

My problem is. No matter the format, importing seems to take forever and a half and everytime a clip is used, it has to re-render and such.

Ill rip these movies via Handbrake as an MP4.

The programs I have available to me to edit with are
    Final Cut Studios
    iMovie 06
    iMovie 08
    QuickTime Pro

Any clue or help? Im just not understanding what a friendly format is to have sit on my computer so I can still have it on my iPhone/AppleTV yet let it be friendly to my editing programs.

2. deux-ex-mak macrumors newbie

No such thing I'm afraid

MP4 is not a format that FC will be happy with. You'd rather be converting your clips to DV PAL or NTSC, formats that any decent FC system will play real time from any decent hard drive.

All you have to do once happy with your editing is batch export your sequences during downtimes or overnight to all the low res portable formats you want using
    Compressor.

3. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

ok. So this brings me to this, so I have alot of MP4 files that I want to edit and ill be using Final Cut Studios (5.0) as my editing software.

Everytime I import a video into the final cut timeline, I have to render it, that means roughly 30min of video is going to take somewhere around 20 hours to render...

So were saying here, that I should have those video's be in NTSC format. But how do I convert them to that? Quick Time Pro dosent have that as an option or atleast not that I am able to find.

So any little help would be fine

because I guess whats confusing me is, you see so many fan vids online about movies/games/shows and I know they dont have a high end rig put together, so how the hell are they getting by? when my rig has to render for 30 hours before I can edit and then ill have to do more rendering once I move a few clips around

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you need to convert the MP4's before bringing them into final cut. use something like MPEGstreamclip to convert the clips to DV.

QT Pro can do it, too. Go to Export and in the options, change the video codec to DV NTSC.

5. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Holy dear god! THANK YOU! Theres still time to convert files but umm....1 hour vs 30 hours? I think we have a winner...

So again, this has been baffling me for over a year now. btw, if I didnt say thank you...THANK YOU! :D

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you can also just isolate sections you want by setting in and out points in MPEGstreamclip. this will allow you to pull sections and only spend time encoding portions you want.

7. Lebowski macrumors 6502

your mp4 files (if set for your ipod/iphone) are probably about a gig or so each i assume... the dv version will be 24 gigs or so. make sure you have enough room.

and you can covert using QT pro

8. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Holy big jesus. Good thing I have enough HDD space to go around and back but it turns a 24MB clip into a 124MB! :eek:

a 253MB file went to a 1.23GB :eek::eek:holy big god, the hell is it doing to these clips lol

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

DV files are big. That is why I told you to isolate the portions you wanted.

In MPEGstreamclip press "i" to mark in and "o" to mark out, press cmd+T to trim, then export.

10. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

no, I appreciate the tip, I got a extra TB or 2 laying around and it will easier for me to find what I need and dont need, once into FC but thats a good point for future imports that I know exactly what I need and dont. Not only will be less HDD space but also less converting time. :cool: