Format Recovery Partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dead_smed, Oct 9, 2012.

1. dead_smed macrumors member

dead_smed

I've got a 2011 11" Air currently running 10.7 that I would like to format and install a clean copy of 10.8 from a DVD.

I think I remember reading awhile ago that a complete format of the SSD caused problems with a missing internet recovery partition and users were unable to restore it / reinstall with the 10.7 DVD and a visit to the Apple Store was needed to fix the problem? Is this something I need to worry about or can the 10.8 installer replace this missing partition if needed?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not sure what you read or what people may have done to get sideways, but a default install of Lion or Mountain Lion will create a Recovery HD partition on the drive.

Maybe you read something about people cloning from one disk to another and that not creating a Recovery HD partition?

3. dead_smed thread starter macrumors member

dead_smed

Thanks Weaselboy, I've installed 10.8 without any issues. I must have dreamt it all up.

4. krravi macrumors 65816

Talking about partitions, I enabled the "Debug" mode in disk utility and looked at my partitions.

Saw the following

Macintosh HD - 990 GB
    Recovery HD - 670 MB
    EFI - 207 MB

What is that EFI Partition for?

5. mfram macrumors 65816

6. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    you can erase the recovery partition by starting up from a USB stick which has a recovery partition on it.
    then you wipe everything on the internal flash storage, but when you clean install ML, the first thing the installer does is to create the new recovery partition.

at least that's how I understand it to work - not that I'm necessarily 100% right - just ask the missus.