Format that will read by a PC and a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crazycat, Feb 2, 2009.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

FAT 32 will work with both without extra software needed. However, there are software programs for both mac and pc that will allow NTFS and Mac OS Extended Journaled. I don't remember the names of the software though.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I will look for these softwares, thanks.

Can a PC read "Mac OS Extended Journaled"? If so i might be able to use it the way i would like since i dont download much stuff from my PC.

5. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Yes a PC can read Mac OS Extended Journaled with help from software. I think it is MacDrive, but not certain.

6. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

MacDrive will let you format,mount,read, and write to a HFS+ filesystem in windows vista. I've tested this in Vista without issues and honestly well worth the money for the investment into MacDrive.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Alternatively you can use Macfuse with NTFS-3G in OS X, you need both, to read/write NTFS. This works great and is free.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I'll toss my vote in for just using FAT32, since no additional software is needed on either side to work fine and I would doubt that you would run into the only limitation of FAT32 that was mentioned above (having any single file larger than 4Gb).

9. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

FAT32 is very slow on disks with capacities greater than 32 GiB. NTFS or HFS+ would be much better options. Not to mention they are both newer filesystems that will protect your data better. There is free NTFS for mac with a program called FUSE and a plugin called ntfs-3g but I've had no luck in setting it up without using the command line. There are pay NTFS programs that will do the job, but I can't vouch for them.

I would suggest running MacDrive on your windows machine. I've used it before and it's great. Mounts up HFS+ (that's the standard mac format) drives and works with them as if they were Windows native. They even have a free trial which, I believe, is fully functional for 30 days.

Side note: if you ever plan to use the disk with Linux, I advise you format the disk HFS+ without Journaling because as far as I know Linux doesn't have write support for HFS+ with Journaling enabled.