Format USB to what?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jordan.1, Oct 20, 2012.

1. jordan.1 macrumors newbie

I have just brought a new samsung smart tv. (the 6800)

I only own a mac and not a PC and have a problem as i have large movie files i want to put on my USB stick to put onto my TV to watch them on.

But i don't know what format to have the USB stick as my movie files are around 10GB each and if the USB stick is formatted to ms-dos it wont let me go over 4GB and the TV doesnt seem to read ExFat.

Is their anyway around this guys?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You might try NTFS.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
      • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You could use a program like Handbreak to compress the movies into a more managable size.

4. jordan.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys

Im going to try the NTFS-3G program out 1st and if no success then i'll have to use handbrake.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You're going to be stuck with FAT32. Either spilt the file or Handbrake. Does the TV support H.264?

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not if he formats to NTFS, he isn't.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you can easily format the USB drive to NTFS, as I posted earlier. You're not stuck with FAT32.

8. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

I've not got my Samsung 6710 TV to recognise the file structure on any NTFS formatted drives yet, are Samsung TVs definitely compatible with NTFS?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know about all models, but the OP's model definitely supports NTFS. Check your owner's manual for your model.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00000457&fm_seq=625

10. Ifti macrumors 68000

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not supported on the Samsung TV. See my post just before yours.

12. digitalcurious macrumors newbie

Compression regression..

Hello. NTFS works fine on my Samsung TV, using the Paragon for Mac program. HOWEVER, I recently bought a very small (physical size) USB 3.0 16Gb from Kingston and it will only let me format in 'NTFS (compressed)' and when I format and put files on the TV fails to recognise it. Why can't I format in regular NTFS like my full size 4 & 8GB USBs? I need the 16GB USB to watch some 1080 films. Any help?

Thanks

13. GGJstudios, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should be able to format any USB drive in any format. If it doesn't work, I would return it for another model.

As to what formats your TV will support, that is model-specific, so check the specifications for your model.