Format

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Genghis Khan, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

I know there's going to be a really simple answer to this...but how do you format your hard drive.

i recently got rid of my windows partition...but now need it back again...and it's asking me to format it in disk utility...how do i do that (p.s. i've been looking in Disk utility and have found no mention of format)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's part of the erase or partition section in Disk Utility. :)

3. Genghis Khan thread starter macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

yes there are mentions of format there...but all the dropdown menus and text boxes are 'greyed' (i.e. i can't use them)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well it won't let you erase or format the drive you're running from. We might need to start at the beginning. Reformatting your drive will erase its data. Are you wanting to do this or are you wanting to recreate a Boot Camp partition? If it's the latter, you'll have to use the Boot Camp app. If you want to reformat and then reinstall OSX from scratch (make sure everything is backed up), then boot from the OSX discs and use that version of Disk Utility. :)

5. Genghis Khan thread starter macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

it's the latter

but the bootcamp says that i must format my hard drive in disk utility and try again :(

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay well I don't have much experience with Boot Camp but maybe it's wanting the drive to be repaired 'cause I always thought the utility did the partitioning for you... Have you verified your drive with Disk Utility? Sorry I can't be more helpful, mate. :)