Formating/Backing Up Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thriii, Jan 22, 2008.

1. thriii macrumors 6502

Hello :) I'm going to be formatting my computer and wanted to backup some things so I have some questions.

1. How to backup Itunes Library? (All the playlists on the left/play counts)
    2. How to keep firefox favorites
    3. Saving Adium History
    4. Best way to format and to what type of file system
    5. Is leopard worth getting? Why?
    5a. I use Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver.. will I have problems if I upgrade?

All I can think about for now :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Get a copy of the library in your Music folder. All your music files and playlists are contained within this folder.

If it's anything like Safari, you should be able to export them from within Firefox.

The chat logs should be kept within the Application Support folder in your User's Library.

Use the standard Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and you should be fine. Don't worry about the security options.

Check Apple's site for a list of new features. Seem worth it to you?

Nah, it should be fine. :)

3. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

if I export library from within Itunes does that work? I don't have [​IMG]
    "Copy Files to Itunes Music folder when adding to library." checked because It doubled all the music I have.. and I have 55gb+ of music :| so my music is in its original folders. How does saving library for something like this work?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In that case a better solution would be to select the new location (external drive or whatever) in that same iTunes preference pane, and then click keep iTunes organised. Use the Advanced menu to consolidate the library and it'll copy your files across. :)