formating EyeTV with iMovie

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FOP2009, Jul 18, 2009.

1. FOP2009 macrumors newbie

I have Eye TV Lite for Mac (I have Mac OS X), it is hooked up to a VCR so I can copy old family VHS tapes. I can get the tape to copy to my Mac, when I open iMovie and go to "file-new project", name it & hit "create", then go to "File": import movies, click on "documents" and EyeTV comes up, click on that, but the movie that I copied is in grey lettering, not black lettering and will not transfer into iMovie. I have been told it is a "formating" problem, but I do not know how to fix this. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
    Thank you

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Use MPEG StreamClip to convert the EyeTV recording to DV or mp4. Then, you'll be able to open it with iMovie.

3. FOP2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

EyeTv, Mac formatting

Thank you for your help, but I am new to Mac and am not sure how to use a MPEG Stream Clip to convert the EyeTv recording. Can you tell me how to do this?
    Thanks.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

can handbrake modify eyetv files?

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Drag the file created by EyeTV to MPEG Stream Clip, then Export as DV. That is all.

Possibly, but you'll still want it to be editable, so DV is best.

6. FOP2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

MPEG Stream Clip

Where is the MPEG Stream Clip? Does it come on the Mac or do you have to download it from the internet? I have tried to move the "movie clip" to iMovies new events, but it does not work.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Download it from www.squared5.com

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

google it

9. FOP2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac & EyeTV

Thanks for the information. I downloaded the "MPEG Stream Clip from www.squared5.com which went fine, but I still can not get the EyeTV to reformat. I tried dragging and dropping the "movie" into the domino looking box in the middle of the screen, but it would not accept the movie. I am thinking this must be an EyeTV formating problem. Elgato has a new version out that is just for Video called, "Video Capture, but I am leery of investing more in them after this. Any other suggestions out there? I really appreciate all you have told me about. I know there has to be a way to get VHS to copy to the Mac, go in to iMovie and eventually go on to a DVD . . . :eek: I will keep trying until I get it figured out, I really appreciate all of your help.