Formating Windows with NTFS or FAT

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ildondeigiocchi, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I am awaiting the arrival of My 2.8GHZ Mac Pro (8 cores) with the 8800GT and a 500 GB hard drive instead of the standard 320GB one. I bought a Windows XP disc to partition the system via BOOTCAMP. I want to make the windows partition 250GB in size. On Apple's bootcamp setup sheets it says that I must format the Windows drive using NTFS (which in my opinion is better) since my partition is greater than 32GB. FAT formatting is only used for windows partitions under 32GB. Is this true. Should I format using NTFS since I play lots of games. BOOTCAMP users please help. :confused::apple::)

2. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Do NTFS as Apple recommends. I have no problem and I only donated 45 gigs to Windows. Everything is working fantastically. lol

3. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Thanks for the help:):apple::)

4. 98707 macrumors regular

USE THE NTFS!

I found it easiest to buy a cheap drive that I formatted later to Fat 32. I use this small 80GB drive for holding my itunes library. I then load the itunes library on either windows or mac from the fat 32 library (just point itunes to the music folder on the disk). This way when I am booted into OS X or Windows I can listen to all of my music, and only have to update one directory (then remember to fix it in the other os)

It also works as a temp drive for moving files between OS's.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If you want windows to have 250GB, you need to to NTFS...

6. knome macrumors 6502

knome

Fat32 is not stable period. If you press the power button once or the computer crashes you are about 600% more likely to corrupt a drive than if you used ntfs. Not to mention that it was not intended to be used with drives larger than 30gb.