Formatted 3DS XL drive (Limited Edition)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by danny_w, Feb 20, 2014.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I have a 3DS XL Limited Edition (Gold Zelda) console that I was preparing to sell and wiped the drive, thus wiping the game that I had downloaded using the enclosed game code. The console is set back to factory new now and is on the setup screen. Can the new owner use the game code to download the game like it was new, or have I just lost the game for good? I would think that the game code would be tied to the hardware. I never setup a Nintendo ID of any kind that I remember.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No... I believe the game is tied to both your account and the hardware, and once used once can't be redeemed again.

But if you want to check set up a basic account with generic 3DS as name and see if it will allow you to download it. Then sell it with the game installed..

3. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

As far as I know the game downloads are linked to hardware. So if you have ever downloaded it to the system regardless of accounts that that hardware should have access to download again.

This may have changed with the Nintendo Network ID being a part of the 3DS now. It would be easy to test this by going in the eShop and seeing what it does.

4. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Yes it worked. Called Nintendo and they walked me through it.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

yay :)

6. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Just in case anybody needs to know, go to the eShop, and scroll all the way left to "Settings/Other" (I think that is what it si called); this is where you would normally enter a download code. Scroll down toward the bottom (I din't realize there were more options) and you will see all of the titles that you have previously downloaded that are tied to this hardware (for me anyway, since I never created an id).

7. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

That is fantastic news - that is one of the few benefits to Nintendo's hardware based system - you can actually sell digital games with their full rights in place. If only I could transfer off a few games when selling systems instead of everything that I own.

But cool regardless - glad you got that working

8. CanadaX21 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to point out this only works if YOU DID NOT SET UP A NINTENDO ID BEFORE DOWNLOADING THE SOFTWARE.

If you set up a NNID first, then any downloaded titles get tied to that, rather than the hardware.