Formatted drive, now I can't reinstall

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steve2112, Feb 22, 2010.

1. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I am in the process of selling my old Mini, so after migrated all my data to my new one, I wiped the drive (wrote zeros). I initially tried installing from the Snow Leopard disk, but the install failed for some reason. So, I pulled out my Leopard disk and attempted an install just to see if it was the disk or something like that. That also failed, so I ran disk utilities on the hard drive. After running repair disk, I got the error: "Invalid B-tree node size. Volume check failed. Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed."

Any ideas? The hard drive was working fine before I wiped it.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just to get more information, what format did you use?

3. steve2112 thread starter macrumors 68040

steve2112

Ah, I just realized I forgot to include that. It was formatted OS Extended Journaled.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's not encouraging. It could be that the drive was not in fact working fine but just hadn't shown its deteriorating condition until you tried to write files en masse by reinstalling. If you have Drive Genius or TechTool, you could try running a surface scan. Unless the bad sectors are in a vital area of the drive, the format should've cleared them up.

The best I can suggest is to see if you can find a new inexpensive hard drive or accept the price cut of selling with a failing drive or without a drive at all.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

It's possible that the error is from the borked installation of Snow Leopard. Did you reformat after that? In addition to Mac OS Extended Journaled, did you use the proper partition map, GUID for Intel Macs and APM for PowerPC Macs? Is the old mini a PowerPC mini? If so, Snow Leopard is Intel only. The disc for Leopard that you tried to use, was it from the new or the old mini, or was it a retail disc?

6. steve2112 thread starter macrumors 68040

steve2112

It's a 1.83 CD Mini. I set it up for GUID. After the SL install failed, I tried my family pack of Leopard, but that failed as well. I tried the SL first because I was going to sell it with the Mini. I want to keep the Leopard disk in case I need to re-install on my Powerbook.

Tech Tools couldn't do much with it, either. I did some searching, and it looks like Disk Warrior has fixed this error for a lot of people, but I don't have a copy of it. I may have to put the original 80GB drive back in there. I just hate to break the case open again. The sad part is I just put this upgraded drive in there a few months back, but I think it's not under warranty. It was bought for another machine a while back, but I never installed it there.

Edit: I forgot to add that I also tried reloading from a Carbon Copy Cloner image on an external drive. It got almost finished loaded and failed.

7. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Try this.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

To clarify, did you reformat after the aborted installs? Are you reformatting using Disk Utility on the OS X install disc?

I'm confused by the error message, because I would think that when the drive is formatted it wouldn't have a B-tree node to have an invalid size, if it does then wouldn't that mean that Disk Utility is causing it with formatting the drive?

9. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Yea if he completely wiped it there shouldn't be any directory errors, unless there is something wrong with the drive physically. He should still run a fsck to see if it's the directory tree or not.

10. steve2112 thread starter macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, I did completely wipe the drive and then try the installs. I forgot to mention earlier that I ran fsck a couple of times, and got a bunch of errors. The last one I ran came up with several, including "invalid node height", "invalid backward link", "invalid forward link", "invalid record count", before finally ending with "The volume MiniHD could not be repaired".

I think it's dead, Jim. I wish SpinRite worked on Macs. :)

11. NIPRING macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, did you try installing via Target mode?

12. steve2112 thread starter macrumors 68040

steve2112

No. I was going to use target disk mode, but the new Mini has FW800, and I didn't have a FW400-800 cable. I did use migration assistant over the network to setup the new Mini, and that went fine. I didn't run into problems until trying to reformat the old Mini HD to prep for sale. I did boot to my CCC image on an external drive, and try to load that way. It failed as well.

13. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I'll admit that I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of thing, but, it seems to me that if you're running fsck from a disc that has had a borked installation done on it, errors are to be expected.

If you boot from the install disc, format the hard drive and then have Disk Utility verify/repair disk, what happens, do you get errors?

14. steve2112 thread starter macrumors 68040

steve2112

All those errors were on my latest attempt at running fsck from terminal utility from the SL install disk. This was after running the repair disk option using Disk Utility from the same disk. The error after running repair disk basically said "disk could not be repaired" and it recommended backing up files and reinstalling, which I found amusing, since this is exactly what I am trying to do. :)

Edit: the exact error is "Invalid key length. The volume could not be verified completely. Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk.". Then it advised backing up files and reinstalling.

15. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Did you wipe zero the drive?

maybe you can boot using dban and use that to erase the drive (20x pass should be fine) and then see if it works.

16. steve2112 thread starter macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, I did the 7 pass from the SL disk utility on it. Does DBAN work on Macs? I know SpinRite doesn't.