Formatted iMac - Do I need original install discs before sale?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ajo, Jan 31, 2014.

1. ajo macrumors 6502

Hi

I am going to sell or give away my 2007 iMac which came with Leopard on it. Since then I have upgraded each time and finally installed Mavericks.

I have just formatted it and it came up with the option to reinstall Mavericks. Elsewhere I am reading that I should use the original install discs that came with the iMac and leave it to the new owner to upgrade OSX.

Is this correct, the screen it is on now is asking for an Apple ID, is this linked to the original Mavericks purchaser or can the new owner just put in their details?

I have spent a while looking for the original discs and have just found them so if I need to go this route that is fine, I would just like whatever is best/easiest for the next owner.

Thanks

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Well for starts, there is no "correct" answer. You can sell it in whatever state you choose. It's up to the buyer to determine if that's acceptable or not.

Since you have the original disks just reload it from scratch. If you want to upgrade to Mavericks, do it from a boot stick made from the ISO image. That'll ensure it's not linked to your Apple ID. Otherwise just leave it to the buyer to upgrade to Mavericks.

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

4. Bear macrumors G3

Install the original OS. If you have discs for a later version, you could install that and include those discs as well with the system. Do not install Mavericks as the person will not have a license for it and may have issues if they ever need to reinstall from scratch.

And if yo need to enter your Apple ID during installation, the install will be linked to your account.

5. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. After originally formatting and then trying to install Mavericks (original post) I have now booted from the original Leopard discs.

Leopard is now installed and it is now asking for the finishing steps, I can skip Apple ID but not address etc.

Is there a way that I can now install Snow Leopard without going through these steps and keeping iLife etc on there, or would it be best for the next owner to just upgrade to Mavericks directly from Leopard (not sure if this is possible?)

Thanks

6. Bear macrumors G3

When it reboots after installing Leopard (or Snow Leopard) and starts asking for information, just shut the computer down and let the new owner fill it out.

They will need Snow Leopard to be able to access the Mac App Store.

7. thedeske macrumors 6502a

This pretty much covers everything. Normally you have to do a hard shutdown if you let the computer restart (hold power button)

Same applies to older 2 disk installs. Just shut down after the OS is done & leave the second disk for the new owner. Mav is free, so let the buyer do it.