Formatted my PC, having trouble synchronizing iphone (playlists)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by error404, Oct 27, 2010.

1. error404 macrumors member

I had my "media Itunes folder" saved in a different hard drive w/ the option "copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library".

So I formatted the computer, then I reinstalled iTunes hoping to reuse all the information it was supposedly saved in a different HD.

This is where the problems begins.... all the files are there, but I couldn't figureout how to get all the playlists back.

So now, when I connect my iphone it wants to erase all my music before synchronizing with iTunes (it doesn't matter if I have checked the "manually manage music and videos")

This is a royal pain in the ass, because I don't want to lose my playlist. they are the same freaking songs :mad:

any help would be appreciated

2. Olja018 macrumors newbie

Exactly the same problem!
    I reinstalled my Vista and of course, all the programs, so now iTunes won't let me add songs to my iPhone since first I have to synchronize it with "new" iTunes.
    What to do? :confused:

3. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

There is a way to tell iTunes where your music library is: Click on File, then preferences, then advanced. Once there, there should be an option for the location of the library. Click change and then browse to the current location. iTunes should then be able to be used.

4. critic81 macrumors regular

You saved your music, but you didn't save your iTunes library, which has all the info with your playlists and such. As for the syncing issue, if you want to sync to a new computer, which yours is now since you formatted, then you have to wipe the device and resync.

Sorry man but you are out of luck on both fronts.

5. error404 thread starter macrumors member

what should I do next time?

6. critic81 macrumors regular

Save the iTunes folder. Or just make your itunes folder on your external.

7. error404 thread starter macrumors member

which one is the iTunes folder? which files should I specifically save?

8. Olja018 macrumors newbie

Are programs like i.e. Xlisoft iPhone transfer a possible solution?

9. error404 thread starter macrumors member

Guys... which folder? which files?