Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xanotos

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Ok, I'm a noob to Apple and Macs, so bare with me.
I have an old 15gig IDE drive that I formatted on my windows system and installed it into my G4 Powermac AGP. What do I need to do to use it? It won't find it anywhere in there. Do I need to remove it and run MacDrive on it and format it under HFS/+HFS?

Thanks for any help

David

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
You have a mac install disk right?
If so just put the disk into the computer and when the computer turns on hold the "c" key. This will boot your g4 from the install cd, from there just start the install process which will format you HD.
Or if your system already has a hd in it with osx installed and you put the 15gig in there also then when you start you computer go to the disk utility located in the utilities folder which is in the applacations folder. From there you should see the HD on the right side. Select it and go to the erase tab to format it.

xanotos

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Well, I used disk utilities and it won't find hard drive. No where in the system it shows the hard drive. I'm going to use an install disc and see if it finds it.
If I reformat drive with MacDrive, will it be easier???

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
xanotos said:
Well, I used disk utilities and it won't find hard drive. No where in the system it shows the hard drive. I'm going to use an install disc and see if it finds it.
If I reformat drive with MacDrive, will it be easier???

You can format it with mac drive is all else fails. Also make sure its connected correctly (Master. Slave, etc.)

xanotos

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Hmmm... now that you mentioned it, I don't think it has any jumper pins in it. I pulled it from an old Tivo box. What jumper does it need to have if I already have my main drive on SCSI?

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
xanotos said:
Hmmm... now that you mentioned it, I don't think it has any jumper pins in it. I pulled it from an old Tivo box. What jumper does it need to have if I already have my main drive on SCSI?

If the drive you installed is the only IDE drive in the system then you need to set it as the master drive.

xanotos

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Master? Slave? Well, I'll try both :)
Thanks for your help guys!!!!!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
xanotos said:
I pulled it from an old Tivo box.
Well then it's not exactly a Windows HD is it, more like a Linux HD...;)

It wouldn't hurt to wipe the partition table from Windows even if you don't use MacDrive. TiVos have lots of little partitions on the drive, some ext2, some MFS.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.