Formatting a disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kenglade, Dec 21, 2008.

1. kenglade macrumors 6502

I have been a Windows user for many years, but this week I inherited an iMac G5 (10.4.11 Tiger) and I feel like one of the blind men trying to discern the characteristics of an elephant. I'd like to start, I guess, with making the iMac my own. There are many remnants of the previous owner still on the drive so I'd like to format the HD and start fresh. Two questions:

1. How do I format the drive
    2. How do I get the original programs and apps that came with the unit back on?

I have no backup installation disk and I don't know if I can get one from Apple. I have been remarkably unsuccessful in egtting any messages to Apple.com support since I am old my serial number (which I got from "About My Mac") doesn't exist.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Slowstick macrumors 6502

To format a disk, you can use disk utility in the utility folder and to reinstall bundled apps, you have to use the application reinstallation disc, I believe. Not sure though. You might want to call apple sales. They might help you get a disc. May I recommend buying iLife 08 or waiting for iLife 09 because I am sure they will charge you for a replacement disc if you are out of warranty. And with it being sort of old, it probably is.

Hope that helps!!!!

3. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Slowstick

That's a good place to start. Many thanks. FMI, wht is iLife?

4. Slowstick macrumors 6502

No problem!!

And iLife is the built in suite that includes GarageBand, iMovie, iPhoto, and iWeb. These are the apps that would be found on the application reinstallation disc.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

As far as getting System Restore disk for your Mac goes it a relatively painless proposition. If you call AppleCare (no emails for this) and let them know you need to purchase a replacement set of System Restore disks (normally two disks BTW) for you machine they will ask for your serial number to make sure they get you copies of the exact ones that shipped with your Mac originally. They may refer to these disks as "fulfillment disks" BTW- it depends on who you get on the phone.

Anyway, they certainly have them for G5 iMacs (and much older machines as well)- I recently ordered a pair for a PowerMac G5 and they ran $32 shipped. An advantage to ordering the System Restore disks over finding a copy of the Retail version of the Tiger installation disk (in addition to this being far cheaper) is that any applications that shipped with your computer will be on the Software Restore disks for you to install. Not a bad deal for the price it seems to me!;)

6. nplima macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Although reformating and starting afresh may be an interesting beginner's IT challenge, you really do not need to do it. Just log in as an admin user, create a new user for yourself and ignore the other accounts that may have been set up before. you can even disable or delete them completely if you like but you don't actually need to go through all the trouble of starting over.

7. Slowstick macrumors 6502

There might be other stuff that is looming around that this person might not need anymore. It can't hurt to start over. Besides, it feels like the computer is newer this way.:D

8. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Formatting a disk

You guys are great. Many thanks. Response much better than any I ever received with Windows. The iMac may just become my main computer. I have another question about Airport which I'll submit under a different thread.