Formatting a drive to NTSF?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by illegalprelude, Nov 3, 2010.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Hey everybody. I know Macs don't play nice with NTSF drive and I don't need to do anything with it, other then to plug in a new 1.5TB drive I have and convert it into NTSF so I can plug it into my server.

Anyway I can format it because Disk Utility only gives you Fat32

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Use NTFS-3G to format your HDD with NTFS, but I don't really know, if that is the ideal solution. Can't you format the HDD in your server or is it running no OS with a GUI or has it no "Disk Utility"?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

First off, it is NTFS. Second, your Mac will handle NTFS drives just fine if you install the freeware NTFS driver, NTFS-3G. This includes formatting drives as NTFS even when Windows does not present NTFS as an option.

4. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Hey, thanks for that. I knew of the program, but I thought it was just for reading files off of a NTFS drive. And no, the server runs on Windows Home Server 2003 and has no functionality like that. Lame I know

Thanks for the correction :)

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Really? Windows Home Server 2003 can't format HDDs? Does it not have Administrative Tools like Disk Management? What kind of server OS is that?

Anyway, NTFS-3G is made for being able to write to NTFS formatted volumes, as Mac OS X can read NTFS formatted volumes just fine.

6. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Of course the new problem I'm running into now is during formatting. I get the following error
    I believe this has to do with some USB docks from the research I've done. Mine does not support firewire..

7. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

Windows Home Server 2008 (the first and current version) isn't like a standard Windows Server system, it basically just makes a PC a NAS box.

8. SidBala, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

SidBala macrumors 6502a

No, it is just "Windows Home Server" with no year.

However, Windows Home Server is just Windows Server 2003 with a WHS UI.

So it is more like Windows Home Server 2003. And it is very much a standard Windows Server system, albeit with few features removed. It is not just something that makes a PC a NAS box. That would be something like FreeNAS.

It absolutely has functionality like that. It is running Windows Server underneath. Remote into it and then run diskmgmt.msc. This is the Windows version of diskutility. You should be able to format it into NTFS.