Formatting a Mac Drive for the first time

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .Logan, Aug 1, 2011.

1. .Logan macrumors member

Hello,

I'm trying to do a clean install of OSX Lion on my first MBP that came with SL.

When I boot from the DVD and open up Disk Utility, I'm confused whether I need to Erase the "Disk" or the "Volume"? I've attached a screenshot, you can see the "320GB Drive" and then "Macintosh HD" in disk utility while the system is running which is what I see when booting up. But no matter which I select, they have the same options.

Once I erase the disk, or volume, do I just exit Disk Utility, reboot and I should get an option to Install? (instead of "Reinstall").

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

So I'm assuming you made a lion install disk?

If you did, boot to the disk, go into disk utility, and erase the volume. Afterwards you can just exit disk utility and install, no need to reboot.

3. .Logan thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, I did make a lion install disc.

Can you confirm that 'Macintosh HD', is the volume? So I just click the erase tab, erase and then exit the utility?

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Yes that is what you do after highlighting/selecting that 'Macintosh HD' and it is the partition/Volume that needs to be erased.