Formatting a MBP - what to do

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aoaaron, Aug 23, 2011.

1. aoaaron, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

aoaaron macrumors 6502

I have my install disks ready. I've never formatted my MBP before.

What should I do? What software shall I use to make a backup?

My main concern is if Mobileme from my iphone 4 somehow wipes all my contacts. I want to take precautions against this.

I've also renamed files within Itunes. Are these permanent on their ID3 tags because I wouldn't want to renew them.

I'd also love to have my website password chain list incase I forget a few logins.

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Use Time Machine to back up to an external drive or a network drive. That way, everything is backed up and perfect system restore is guaranteed.

You can format your hard drive using the install disk's Disk Utility, located under the "Utilities" menu on top.

3. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Any tips on my password key chain, saving my Itunes collection since transferring them to a NAS over wifi will be plenty slow... etc.?

I lose quite a few songs the last time I transfwred them via USB. I don't know how...

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

You will not be copying them manually. Time Machine will do all of the copying for you. It will clone your hard drive to your NAS, from which you can restore from after installing OS X. Which means all of your data, including your iTunes library and your keychain, will not require reconfiguration.