Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lesliev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2016
I mistakenly ordered the WD My Passport Ultra drive for Windows instead of My Passport for Mac. Rather than send it back, I'd like to format it for my MacBook Air. The problem, is I've never done this. Would someone mind offering me some guidance? I intend to use the drive with Time Machine for back ups. Thanks so much.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just attach the drive then open Disk Utility from the /Applications/Utilities folder. Then go to the erase tab and in the left column select the new drive. Now in the format dropdown select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) then apply that format by clicking the erase button at the lower right and you are done.

lesliev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2016
Just attach the drive then open Disk Utility from the /Applications/Utilities folder. Then go to the erase tab and in the left column select the new drive. Now in the format dropdown select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) then apply that format by clicking the erase button at the lower right and you are done.
Thank you! I appreciate your help.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Before you do that, copy the name of the drive for easy renaming. And note that you have to reformat the drive at the top of the volume tree. It will return errors with no exolanation otherwise.

lesliev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2016
Before you do that, copy the name of the drive for easy renaming. And note that you have to reformat the drive at the top of the volume tree. It will return errors with no exolanation otherwise.
[doublepost=1457211673][/doublepost]Thanks again!

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
I mistakenly ordered the WD My Passport Ultra drive for Windows instead of My Passport for Mac. Rather than send it back, I'd like to format it for my MacBook Air. The problem, is I've never done this. Would someone mind offering me some guidance? I intend to use the drive with Time Machine for back ups. Thanks so much.
By accident you probably saved a few bucks
I purchased the same "Windows" drive - just reformatted as described in posts above
Many companies charge more for Mac formated storage.
In any case I reformat all new storage.

Reactions: LiveM

lesliev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2016
By accident you probably saved a few bucks
I purchased the same "Windows" drive - just reformatted as described in posts above
Many companies charge more for Mac formated storage.
In any case I reformat all new storage.
Yeah, reformatting is not that difficult! I considered it daunting, exactly the way I continue to feel about adding extra RAM to my computer.

pedrom

Suspended
Jan 30, 2016
Yeah, reformatting is not that difficult! I considered it daunting, exactly the way I continue to feel about adding extra RAM to my computer.
It's just 2 or 3 clicks.

After you do it the first time, yo realize what a bunch of suckers these companies are. besides, not one of their preinstalled software is better than time machine.

lesliev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2016
It's just 2 or 3 clicks.

After you do it the first time, yo realize what a bunch of suckers these companies are. besides, not one of their preinstalled software is better than time machine.

I think Time Machine is terrific. I used to use it with a Time Capsule, but the TC itself wasn't reliable and overheated a lot.

Do you usually erase the pre-installed backup software on the external drive to free up more space? I notice it takes up a lot of room.

pedrom

Suspended
Jan 30, 2016
I think Time Machine is terrific. I used to use it with a Time Capsule, but the TC itself wasn't reliable and overheated a lot.

Do you usually erase the pre-installed backup software on the external drive to free up more space? I notice it takes up a lot of room.
Yes. With my Passport, I usually erase it completely and use it as an encrypted drive for time Machine.

Another useful tool is too erase it completely, and use 2 partitions. One in OS X format for time machine, and other in Exfat for all files that is also compatible with Windows, if you need it.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
It's just 2 or 3 clicks.

I don't think any of them work fully on Mac, precisely because of Time Machine. For example, I don't think you can use WD Smartware for backups on Mac, and the same for Seagate Dashboard.

lesliev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2016
Thank you! Scrub I will. I'll also experiment with partioning at some point because I'd like to add Super Duper.
Yes. With my Passport, I usually erase it completely and use it as an encrypted drive for time Machine.

Another useful tool is too erase it completely, and use 2 partitions. One in OS X format for time machine, and other in Exfat for all files that is also compatible with Windows, if you need it.[/QU

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010

>Disk Utility>Click on Media>Erase>Erase
4 clicks - I just saved you $20+ (based on the prices in Toronto)
Takes less time that typing this

As I already said I always Erase/Reformat media because:
1. Security - cleans media - I attached to a number of work networks
2. Removes the unneeded software installed by manufacturer

And as poster above had a good tip - 2 partitions OS X Extended (Journaled) and ExFat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.