formatting an external HD using Mac OS disk utilities

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by karlykt, Jun 21, 2008.

1. karlykt macrumors newbie

How do I format an external HD to FAT32? I need to format an external HD to FAT32 so that I can use if for both Mac and PC. I need to copy some files from a PC (mostly powerpoint presentations and MPEG videos) so that I can use them on my Mac. Tried using the Mac OS disk utilities to reformat the HD but unfortunately, the drop down menu for this function only allows formatting of Mac OS and UNIX formats. What can I do? Don't really want to format the external HD (LaCie D2 quadra) using the PC because it is possible infected by viruses.

By the way, I am still running my MBP on Mac OS 10.4.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

When you are in Disk Utility, you're not able to format to FAT? Does this happen even when you click the HD in question, go to the "Erase" tab, select MS-DOS (FAT) and hit erase? By the way, this erases any previous files that were saved on the HD - so BE CAREFUL!

Also, you should be able to format the drive on a PC. I doubt that it'll get infected by viruses. Format and eject it quickly, just in case.

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

That's because you need to change the Partition Map first.

In Disk Utility, select the drive device and go to the Partition tab.

In the Partition Tab, change "Current" to "1 Partition" (this enables the options button).

Click the Options button. If your Mac is an Intel, select GUID. If it is a PPC, select the Apple Partition Map. Click OK

Now name the disk and you can use the drop down menu to select MS DOS (FAT 32). Now click the Apply button.

4. karlykt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for the information. Will try it out and let you know.