Formatting an un-formatted external hard drive - basic question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VaatiKaiba, Jul 20, 2009.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

I've just got a new external HD, but it's not being recognised by Mac OS X (10.5.7). I assumed it was because it was in a Windows format, so booted Windows, but it then turned out it wasn't formatted at all.

What is the easiest way to make this an HFS+ (the Mac OS extended format), and how do I do it as I can't see it anywhere on the Mac (including Disk Utility)?

Thanks in advance!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Boot into Mac OS X and then open "Disk Utility". Your new hard drive should show up on the left, click on the hard drive and select "Erase". Set the "Volume Format" to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and then hit "Erase" :)

3. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

But it didn't seem to show up in Disk Utility - would there be a reason for this?

4. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

If it makes any difference, in Windows when I try to reformat, it keeps telling me the device is not ready...

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's odd, does the hard drive have multiple interfaces? (ie FireWire in addition to USB) If so, try connecting it via the other interface to see if you have better luck. But it sounds like you should ask for an exchange, because it should show up in Disk Utility if it is working properly.

6. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, the light on the enclosure turns on, so it recognises it's been plugged in... Also, there is an eSata connection, but as it's my MacBook, USB is the only one that's supported...

7. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

In Windows, is the drive recognized in Disk Management? To get to Disk Management, click Start, right-click My Computer, click Manage, and click Disk Management. Is the capacity correct?

If you still can't format it, try downloading and burning Hiren's BootCD and using one of the partitioning tools on it (I prefer Acronis Disk Director) to format it. I'm not sure if it will boot on a Mac, however, or if it will recognize external drives.