Formatting External Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Leftus, May 11, 2008.

1. Leftus macrumors newbie

Leftus

As a newly migrated Mac user, I tried to format my external HDD (40gb Cutie) which I have had for a few years. It was previously formatted in XP (fat32). I could load to my MBP (15" Rev D) but not from the MBP to the external HDD. So I tried reformatting using the beginners guide here. It went well until it hung-up. Since then the MBP and PCs do not recognise the external drive. Bringing up the Disk Utility I can see it but any attempt to use or format just has the MBP hang and I have to Force Quit.
    Any assitance would be appreciated.:confused:

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Macs can read and write to FAT32 just fine, and can read NTFS (Microsoft's other format), so you shouldn't be having too many problems.

I think its a coincidental hardware failure. There shouldn't have been any problems and if there were both the Mac and PC should have let you format it.

3. Leftus thread starter macrumors newbie

Leftus

Thanks Eraserhead, I was hoping for something less costly, like try this** etc. But you maybe right. Thanks for your rep. Anyone else with some ideas?

4. DouglasP macrumors newbie

You know, I had this same thing happen several times. I ended up formatting the external hard drive so only a Mac can read it, and have no more issues ever.

5. Leftus thread starter macrumors newbie

Leftus

Thanks douglasP.
    Any chance of telling which format etc and how long it takes?
    I have tried another format but it just hangs.......and I force quit.
    Maybe I'm using the wrong format?
    Cheers:confused:

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Mac OS extended journaled ( HFS+)

7. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Ive got a WD Passport 320G external that I formated NTS and used to store PC data on. I tried copying TO it from my mac and the message was that the Passport couldn't be modified. I can take FROM it but I cant write TO it.

Any thoughts?

Tom