formatting external hard drive with two different partition schemes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by limsilas, Nov 2, 2010.

1. limsilas macrumors newbie

hi all,

i'd like to format my lacie external hard drive with two partitions:

1. HFS+ partition as a bootable clone of my internal drive
    2. FAT32 partition readable by any windows (and mac) machine

i'm creating my partitions with disk utility, but i hit a snag when choosing a partition scheme...apparently i cannot choose a different scheme for each partition.

so when i format the drive with GUID, the FAT32 partition is not even recognized by windows XP. but when i format the drive with master boot record (MBR), the HFS+ partition is not bootable...

i achieved this on my prior external hard drive, but cannot remember how. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. limsilas thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone have any ideas? i know this is possible because i had my prior external drive setup this way, i just cannot remember how.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

4. al2o3cr macrumors regular

It sounds like you're looking for a hybrid GPT setup. This looks promising:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html

BTW, why FAT32 instead of NTFS? The NTFS-3G drivers for OSX have been solid for a while now, and pretty much any version of Windows that's not positively ancient should be able to read it - and you don't have to worry about hitting the 2 gig limit in the old FAT system.

5. limsilas thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the link! although i haven't totally read through it yet, because it looks kind of complicated. i wish i can remember how i setup my old external hard drive - it was a few years ago, and it wasn't complicated at all. i wonder if disk utility in leopard somehow made this type of thing easier?

also, i'm sticking with FAT32 so that my friends' macbooks can read the drive - none of them have NTFS (even though i do).