Formatting External Harddrive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The Samurai, Nov 13, 2008.

1. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Hi Everyone

Just about to format my external harddrive as its read only at the moment (only adjustable on a Windows machine).

I've opened disk utility and chosen my external HDD from there... my question is, which format do I use? Theres about four appearing:

Mac OS Extended (case sensitive)
    Mac OS Extended (case sensitive, journaledd)
    Mac OS Extended
    Mac OS Extended (journaled)

Which one do I choose and why? :D

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I would say Mac OS Extended (journaled) because it is the most common.

3. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Cheers bud

4. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

i would also reccomend Mac OS Extended (Journaled), since its the default format OSX uses on your main drive.

5. Matek macrumors 6502a

It definitely has to be journaled, the other option (case sensitivity) is more of a personal preference. If you don't know what case sensitivity is all about, you won't need it.

Oh, since you mention windows machines in your first post - I hope you realise the filesystem you are about to use is OS X only! You will not be able to access the drive in Windows, unless you install third party software. If you need a drive that will be accessed on machines using Windows and OS X, I suggest you use FAT32 (older, but supported on both systems out of the box) or NTFS, which is pretty modern and you're probably using it on the drive now since you mentioned it is recognised as read-only. You can enable writing as well by using this.